Recorded: Wednesday April 1, 2020 @ 4:30pm EST
Suggested Audience: Swimmers and Coaches
In this episode of Breaking It Down, Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary sits down with National Champions and butterfly experts Tom Luchsinger and Giles Smith! Tom specializes in the 200 butterfly, while Giles is more of a sprinter, so you’ll see how their approaches are similar and different for various distances. They have technical advice, race strategy, and training tips to help all swimmers swim butterfly faster and more efficiently.
- 2:23 Introductions
- 4:37 How much were you training before quarantine?
- 6:50 Describe yourself as a butterflier
- 9:57 Tom – Overview
- 10:39 Tom – Making the most of your kick
- 15:21 Tom – Making the most of your pull
- 19:32 Tom – Correct breathing
- 23:04 Tom – Mantras for the 200 butterfly
- 25:16 Tom – 200 butterfly endurance set
- 30:45 Giles – Breath
- 34:09 Giles – Kick
- 36:11 Giles – Turns
- 42:01 Giles – Underwaters
- 47:12 Giles – Favorite Drills
- 52:16 One tip for younger butterfly swimmers
- 53:28 What’s your favorite 100 butterfly pace set?
- 54:10 What is the easiest way to drop time in a 200 butterfly?
- 55:12 What’s your preferred 200 butterfly breathing pattern?
- 55:47 What are some tips for improving the upkick?