Western Springs, IL
2019 Elite Swim Camp Series
Sat, Apr, 13 2019 - Sun, Nov, 10 2019
Lyons Township High School South
4900 Willow Springs Road, Western Springs, IL 60558
2019 Elite Swim Camp Series in Western Springs, IL – Sign up for individual sessions or the whole series by clicking register now.
This Elite Series consists of THREE swim camps to be held in Western Springs. IL. Each camp has a different curriculum and is “Elite” which means that each session is limited to no more than 36 participants.
* Camp 1: Fast Freestyle and Backstroke (April 13 & 14): Elite Clinician and National Champion Sarah Gibson
* Camp 2: Efficient Butterfly and Breaststroke (August 17 & 18): With Olympic Medalist Kristy Kowal
* Camp 3: Explosive Power – Starts and Turns (November 9 & 10): Elite Clinician to be announced
Each camp will be led by Elite Clinicians who swam at the highest level and are exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Each of the three weekends will have two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under. Each age group has 6 sessions available to them across all 3 weekends. The camp is not recommended for swimmers with less than 2 years of competitive swimming experience and swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these camps without your coach’s recommendation.
April 13: Elite Freestyle Technique
Freestyle is the stroke that you swim more than any other. Creating good freestyle habits NOW will not only help your swimmer race fasster, but it will also help prevent injury in the future. National Champion Sarah Gibson will be in the water leading participants through each part of the freestyle stroke and drills to help them create good habits and deepen their understanding of fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will renforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- KICK: Become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick from Sarah Gibson!
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. National Champion Sarah Gibson will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power out of every stroke!
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation form more connection and power out of every pull and every kick.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Sarah will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
April 14: Fast Backstroke Racing
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation as well as a stable and balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force with Sarah Gibson.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with National Champion Sarah Gibson to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmer's knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke. This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Kim will help swimmers maintain maximum propulsion with the proper kicking technique.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
August 17: Efficient Butterfly Technique
At this session, Olympic medalist Kristy Kowal will work with the participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterflyers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with Kristy Kowal on establishing and maintaining the proper body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Work on how and when to kick in fly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow your swimmer to have a more efficient butterfly. Kristy will teach participants to get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: The most common mistakes that swimmers make in fly occur during the breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
August 18: Powerful Breaststroke Racing
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Your swimmer has the foundation, now learn from Olympic medalist in breaststroke Kristy Kowal how to utilize your core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Too many young swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" (i.e. slow themselves down) and exhaust themselves. Kristy will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The three parts of the kick are hips, knees, and feet. Kristy will work with participants to kick with power from their hips while keeping their knees close and feet wide. The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Get more out of each kick for a faster breaststroke!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage you to keep your hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on your body. Learn how Kristy times her breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
November 9: Explosive Starts, Underwater Dolphin Kicking, and Breaststroke Pullouts
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking or breaststroke pullout and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Our Elite Clinician will share their experiences on how they found time to practice and improve their starts both in and out of the water and share some of their most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of power. Our Elite Clincian will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Elite level swimmers have figured out how to weaponize their underwater dolphin kicking to set themselves apart from the crowd by going 15 meters (the maximum distance you're allowed to go) every time! Attaining this speed is not as hard as you think. It takes the right technique, focus, and practice, but your swimmer can do it too! Learn from one of the best coaches in the world in these sessions and get closer to achieving the dolphin kick of your dreams!
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from our Elite Clinician. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine!
November 10: Fast Flip Turns, Open Turns, and Crossover Turns
Most age group swimmers add in extra movements on their turns that slow them down and prevent them from carrying their momentum through the turn and into their streamline! Even at Olympic Trials we see many very fast swimmers who miss making finals and even the Olympic team because of the quality of their turns! The turn is an opportunity for a swimmer to actually GAIN MOMENTUM, when in fact most swimmers actually slow down. At both of these sessions, our Elite Clinician will work with each swimmer to improve their turns so that they can drop time!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Our Elite Clinician will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- CROSSOVER TURNS: The backstroke to breaststroke crossover turn has made headlines lately with even the top swimmers getting disqualified for doing it incorrectly. Our Elite Clinician will ensure that participants are aware of the rules and able to execute the crossover turn FAST and EFFICIENTLY.
At each session of this elite series, swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Elite Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe the clinicians at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!