Western Springs, IL
Past Clinic: 2019 Elite Swim Camp Series
Sat, Nov, 09 2019 - Sun, Nov, 10 2019
Lyons Township High School South
4900 Willow Springs Road, Western Springs, IL 60558
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Western Springs, IL.
Crawfordsville Aquatic CenterInfo
Central Park PoolInfo
Crown Point High SchoolInfo
Eisenhower Middle-High SchoolInfo
Northview High SchoolInfo
C.W. Avery Family YMCAInfo
Hobart High SchoolInfo
Central High SchoolInfo
Valparaiso High SchoolInfo
Lyons Township High School SouthInfo
Smith Family YMCAInfo
Two-Day Explosive Power Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving through the water is after the start and after every turn? On Saturday the curriculum will focus on explosive starts, powerful underwater dolphin kicking, and breaststroke pullouts. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every flip turn, open turn, and the crossover turn!
Leading each session will be three time Olympian Glenn Snyders, Tucker Dupree, and Samantha Yeo! Scroll down to read more about the curriculum.
Session Times (Each Day)
11 & Under: Check in 10:15 AM, Clinic 10:30 AM-12:30 PM
12 & Over: Check in 1:45 PM, Clinic 2:00 PM-5:00 PM
This camp is completely sold out! We have 2 more Starts & Turns camps in this area in December:
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Each of the weekends will have two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under. The camp is not recommended for swimmers with less than 2 years of competitive swimming experience and swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these camps without your coach’s recommendation.
November 9: Explosive Starts, Underwater Dolphin Kicking, and Breaststroke Pullouts
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking or breaststroke pullout and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Olympian Glenn Snyders, Tucker Dupree, and Samantha Yeo will share their experiences on how he found time to practice and improve their starts both in and out of the water and share some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of power. Glenn, Tucker, and Samantha will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Elite level swimmers have figured out how to weaponize their underwater dolphin kicking to set themselves apart from the crowd by going 15 meters (the maximum distance you're allowed to go) every time! Attaining this speed is not as hard as you think. It takes the right technique, focus, and practice, but your swimmer can do it too! Learn from Glenn, Tucker, and Samantha during these sessions and get closer to achieving the dolphin kick of your dreams!
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Glenn, Tucker, and Samantha. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine!
November 10: Fast Flip Turns, Open Turns, and Crossover Turns
Most age group swimmers add in extra movements on their turns that slow them down and prevent them from carrying their momentum through the turn and into their streamline! Even at Olympic Trials we see many very fast swimmers who miss making finals and even the Olympic team because of the quality of their turns! The turn is an opportunity for a swimmer to actually GAIN MOMENTUM, when in fact most swimmers actually slow down. At both of these sessions, Olympian Glenn Snyders, Tucker Dupree, and Samantha Yeo will work with each swimmer to improve their turns so that they can drop time!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Glenn, Tucker, and Samantha will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- CROSSOVER TURNS: The backstroke to breaststroke crossover turn has made headlines lately with even the top swimmers getting disqualified for doing it incorrectly. Glenn, Tucker, and Samantha will ensure that participants are aware of the rules and able to execute the crossover turn FAST and EFFICIENTLY.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Glenn, Tucker, and Samantha questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Glenn, Tucker, and Samantha swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient, and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Glenn, Tucker, and Samantha, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!