Past Clinic: High Performance Starts, Butterfly, and Backstroke
Sat, Apr, 06 2019 - Sun, Apr, 07 2019
Parkrose Community Swim Center
12003 NE Shaver St, Portland, OR 97220
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Portland, OR.
Juanita Aquatics CenterInfo
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or BOTH days!
On Saturday the curriculum will focus on explosive starts, underwater dolphin kicking, and breakouts. On Sunday, swimmers will work to improve their technique in both butterfly and backstroke to be able to race faster and with more efficiency.
Your clinician for this camp will be Elite clinician and five-time Olympian Brett Hawke. Brett was in the Olympics twice as a swimmer and three times as a coach. He will be joined by Pac-12 Champion Amy Bilquist and Olympian Glenn Snyders! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Brett, Amy, and Glenn will lead two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s recommendation.
SESSION 1 & 2 (SATURDAY): STARTS, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING, AND BREAKOUTS
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Olympic swimmer and coach Brett Hawke will share his experiences on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Brett will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Brett is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kicking coaches in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
- BREAKOUTS: Learn how to carry momentum from the underwater dolphin kicks into the breakout by timing the first stroke and staying streamlined. Your swimmer will practice keeping their head down and it'll make a big difference in their breakout!
SESSIONS 3 & 4 (SUNDAY): BUTTERFLY AND BACKSTROKE
In these sessions Olympic swimmer and coach Brett Hawke will work with each participant to improve in both butterfly and backstroke. Participants will be led through a series of focused and intentional drills. The drills will begin with renforcing a solid foundation and then progress to more challenging drills designed to teach participants to feel the technique necessary to race at an elite level. Both butterfly and backstroke require very specific techniques to be efficient! Learn from Brett and improve at these sessions!
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic strokes. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Brett will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to create better habits every time they swim fly!
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Brett will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Brett questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
PRACTICE INTENTIONAL DRILLS
Learn a progression of drills designed to help swimmers understand and feel powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Brett, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!