Past Clinic: Comprehensive Butterfly Racing Camp
Sat, Apr, 13 2019 - Sun, Apr, 14 2019
Raritan Valley Community College
118 Lamington Road, Branchburg, NJ 08876
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Branchburg, NJ.
Ridley Park Swim ClubInfo
Haven Beach ClubInfo
Shaker High SchoolInfo
Ithaca High SchoolInfo
James L McKeown Boys and Girls Club of WoburnInfo
James L McKeown Boys and Girls Club of WoburnInfo
Two-Day Elite Comprehensive Butterfly Camp – Sign up for one or BOTH Days!
This is a two-day swim camp focused on racing faster in every butterfly race. The first day will focus on fast starts, underwater dolphin kicking, and breakouts – specifically for butterfly races. On the second day, participants will work on butterfly technique, open turns, and butterfly finishes. Both days will have significant swimming time and utilize video for analysis of butterfly racing technique and drills.
This is an Elite Camp which means that each session will be limited to no more than 36 participants.
This clinic will be led by Elite Clinician and National Champion in butterfly Tom Luchsinger. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Tom will lead two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s recommendation.
Day 1 (Saturday April 13th): STARTS, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING, AND BREAKOUTS
Get off to a good start in every butterfly race! At this session, National Champion Tom Luchsinger will work with swimmers both in the water and in a classroom on technique for more explosive starts, more powerful underwater dolphin kicking, and how to achieve a more efficient breakout.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to launch themselves forward with a lot of explosive power. Tom will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to drive forward extending their body into a tight streamline to enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Participants at this session will work on a stronger technique in their underwaters including a tight streamline and a powerful whip. With the right technique, Tom will help participants extend their underwater dolphin kick (6-12 kicks) to accelerate into their breakout.
- BUTTERFLY BREAKOUTS: Accelerating into the first stroke of butterfly is all about achieving a proper body position just before a swimmer takes their first stroke. If a swimmer's ascent is too steep, their hips will be too low which creates drag and slows them down. Tom will work with the swimmers to feel when they should take their first stroke and reinforce keeping their heads down on the first stroke!
Day 2 (Sunday April 14th): BUTTERFLY, OPEN TURNS, AND FINISHES
Technique is so important in a butterfly race. Day two of this camp focuses on the drills and skills for understanding efficient butterfly technique as well as fast open turns and butterfly finishes. Tom Luchsinger will begin the session by bringing the participants into the classroom to show video of the techniques required in these three key areas of a butterfly race. Then, participants will get in the pool to practice drills and the techniques that they learned.
- BUTTERFLY: Swimmers will begin with an understanding of the proper body position and the importance of keeping their hips high. Next, Tom will go over proper kicking technique, how to achieve a powerful arm pull, and a low breath. The most challenging aspect of butterfly is putting it all together! The most important component of butterfly is the timing. Your swimmer will gain a deeper understanding of not only the 'how', but also the 'when' of a fast butterfly stroke.
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your butterfly races!
- BUTTERFLY FINISHES: Tom will work with participants to know when to take their last breath before accelerating into the finish keeping their hips high and strokes long. Swimmers will work on timing the touch perfectly with their fingertips while keeping their arms long.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tom questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tom swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best butterflyers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Tom's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!
This event is an independent program and not affiliated with events sponsored by Raritan Valley Community College