Past Clinic: High Performance Backstroke and Freestyle
Sat, Jun, 01 2019 - Sun, Jun, 02 2019
Bozeman Swim Center
1211 West Main Street, Bozeman, MT 59715
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Bozeman, MT.
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or BOTH days!
This camp focuses on technique to race faster in both backstroke and freestyle! Saturday will cover elite technique in backstroke as well as powerful underwater dolphin kicking. The curriculum on Sunday is all about elite freestyle technique.
Leading each session will be Olympic swimmer and coach Brett Hawke, National Champion Maddy Banic, SEC Champion Joey Reilman and OSU All-American Brad Shannon! Your swimmer has so much to learn from all of these incredible swimmers and coaches! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
12 & Over: Check-In: 7:30 AM. Clinic: 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM
11 & Under: Check-In: 1:30 PM. Clinic 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
12 & Over: Check-In: 10:30 AM. Clinic: 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM
11 & Under: Check-In: 12:45 PM. Clinic: 1:15 PM – 3:15 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Brett, Joey, Brad, and Maddy will lead two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s recommendation.
SESSION 1 & 2 (SATURDAY): BACKSTROKE AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The 4 clinicians are all champions due to their incredible dedication to perfecting their backstroke technique along with prioritizing creating speed and power in their underwater dolphin kicking! The elite clinicians will be in the water during this session to work with participants to not only learn technique for faster racing, but also feel and understand it!
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. The elite clinicians will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Maddy is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and she specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
SESSIONS 3 & 4 (SUNDAY): ELITE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Freestyle is the stroke that you swim more than any other. Creating good freestyle habits at as a young swimmer and cultivating those habits as you age up will help your swimmer race faster and prevent injury. The elite clinicians will be in the water leading participants through each part of the freestyle stroke and drills to help them create good habits and deepen their understanding of fast and efficient freestyle technique. The focus of these sessions will be on technique specifically for the 50, 100, and 200 freestyles.
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- KICK: Become a stronger and faster kicker. It is important to learn technique for both the proper technique AND timing. Work with our Olympian and see your swimmer's kick improve!
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. The elite clinicians will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power out of every stroke!
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation form more connection and power out of every pull and every kick.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? The elite clinicians will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Elite Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe the elite clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing the elite clinicians' medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!