High Performance Starts and Freestyle
Sat, Apr, 27 2019 - Sun, Apr, 28 2019
Marga Hosaeus Fitness Center - MSU Pool
120 Marga Hosaeus Fitness Center, Bozeman, MT 59715
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or BOTH days!
This camp is all about technique that will help your swimmer be more explosive and powerful. On Saturday the curriculum will focus on high performance starts and underwater dolphin kicking. Then on Sunday, swimmers will focus on elite technique for freestyle racing in the 50, 100, and 200 distances.
Your clinician for this camp will be Elite clinician and Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman! Nick is one of Fitter and Faster’s most experienced and effective clinicians. Your swimmer has so much to learn from him! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Nick will lead two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s recommendation.
SESSION 1 & 2 (SATURDAY): STARTS AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Olympic god medalist Nick Thoman will share his experiences on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Nick will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Nick is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
SESSIONS 3 & 4 (SUNDAY): ELITE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Freestyle is the stroke that you swim more than any other. Creating good freestyle habits at as a young swimmer and cultivating those habits as you age up will help your swimmer race faster and prevent injury. Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman will be in the water leading participants through each part of the freestyle stroke and drills to help them create good habits and deepen their understanding of fast and efficient freestyle technique. The focus of these sessions will be on technique specifically for the 50, 100, and 200 freestyles.
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- KICK: Become a stronger and faster kicker. It is important to learn technique for both the proper technique AND timing. Work with our Olympian and see your swimmer's kick improve!
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Nick will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power out of every stroke!
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation form more connection and power out of every pull and every kick.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Nick will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Nick questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Nick swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Nick's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!