Past Clinic: Explosive Performance: Starts & Turns
Sat, Dec, 14 2019 - Sun, Dec, 15 2019
New Trier High School - Northfield
7 Happ Rd., Northfield, IL 60093
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Northfield, IL.
Mishawaka High SchoolInfo
Smith Family YMCAInfo
Eisenhower Middle-High SchoolInfo
Central Park PoolInfo
Northview High SchoolInfo
Hobart High SchoolInfo
Two-Day Explosive Power Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving through the water is after the start and after every turn? On Saturday, the curriculum will focus on explosive starts, powerful underwater dolphin kicking, and strong breaststroke pullouts. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every turn – whether it’s a flip turn, open turn, or IM transition turn.
This clinic will be led by Olympian Christopher Reid, Tucker Dupree, and Sam Yeo! Scroll down to read more about the curriculum.
11 & Under
Saturday: Check in 9:15 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-11:30 AM
Sunday: Check in 10:15 AM, Clinic 10:30 AM-12:30 PM
12 & Over
Saturday: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-3:30 PM
Sunday: Check in 1:45 PM, Clinic 2:00 PM-4:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Christopher, Tucker, and Sam will lead four sessions – two for each age group. This camp is designed for swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old without a coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): STARTS, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING, & BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into a tight streamline streamline. There are countless intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. Olympian Christopher Reid, Tucker Dupree, and Sam Yeo have spent countless hours practicing starts and underwaters and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- BLOCK STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Christopher, Tucker, and Sam will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position utilizing the backstroke ledge with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. Christopher, Tucker, and Sam will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from your clinicians. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): IM TRANSITION TURNS, FLIP TURNS, & OPEN TURNS
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Olympian Christopher Reid, Tucker Dupree, and Sam Yeo will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- IM TRANSITION TURNS: Swimmers don’t have as many chances to practice transition turns in practice, so taking the time to learn proper technique can help make their IM even faster. The backstroke to breaststroke transition turn is one of the most challenging skills to learn, but Christopher, Tucker, and Sam will break down each movement step-by-step.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Christopher, Tucker, and Sam questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Christopher, Tucker, and Sam swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with three of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Christopher, Tucker, and Sam, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!