Starts & Turns Camp and Race Strategy 100’s & 200’s Camp
Sat, Oct, 02 2021 - Sun, Oct, 03 2021
Raynham Athletic Club
1250 New State Hwy, Raynham, MA 02767
OCTOBER 2-3, 2021: Starts & Turns Camp and Race Strategy 100’s & 200’s – Save when you purchase multiple sessions for one or more swimmers!
This swim camp will cover a lot of ground over 2 days and will benefit competitive swimmers of all ages and abilities. Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
12 & Over: Race Strategy – 100’s & 200’s:
Saturday, October 2: Swimming a fast 200
Sunday, October 3: Swimming a fast 100
- Session Times (Both Days): Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 12:45 – 3:45 PM
9 & Over: Explosive Performance Starts & Turns:
Saturday, October 2: Explosive Starts, Underwaters, & Breakouts
Sunday: October 3: Flip Turns, Open Turns & Finishes
- Session Times (Both Days): Check in 9 AM, Clinic 9:15 – 11:45 AM
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
This camp will be led by Olympian Amini Fonua, who swam at the highest level and is an exceptional teacher with a talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing!
This camp is designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
October 2 (SATURDAY): 9 & Over STARTS & UNDERWATERS
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block- the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by a dominating underwater. Amini has spent numerous hours practicing details of starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will work with swimmers on how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Amini will work with swimmers to find the best position on the block, as well as how to launch off with power into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's one of the most crucial components to maintaining speed off the walls! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to explode into the first stroke and accelerate onward.
October 2 (SATURDAY): 12 & Over SWIMMING A FAST 200
Races over 200 yards and meters are some of the most fun to swim and to watch because of the wide variety of strategies that swimmers can use. Some swimmers will take the race out very fast and hope to hang on at the finish, some will save their energy and finish strong, while others will hit consistent splits to balance those two strategies. Our clinicians will help participants see which strategy works the best for their swimming as well as how to implement that plan for faster racing.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase a swimmer’s efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. Participants will work with our elite clinicians to find the appropriate distance per stroke for their 200.
- TEMPO: A swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes. Faster tempos are more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help participants swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: Every swimmer strategizes their 200 yard races differently! Amini will demonstrate the advantages and disadvantages of the main pace approaches. Whether participants like to go out hard or finish strong, having a pre-race strategy will help make sure they are ready to swim each race confidently!
October 3 (SUNDAY): 9 & Over TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerful push off every wall. Olympian Amini Fonua will lead participants through a series of drills to build compact, fast turns in any race.
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting their feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers will learn details of an expertly executed open turn, which involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with our clinicians to nail an efficient and quick open turn, and learn where to clean up any unnecessary drag
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
October 3 (SUNDAY): 12 & OVER SWIMMING A FAST 100
Swimming 100 yard races requires unique strategy and planning for fast racing. Technique is tweaked to provide more power for the event, and taking advantage of the start and streamline off each wall has a larger impact. Trying to find the balance between underwaters, breathing pattern, and sprinting are key to having a fast 100! Amini will work with participants to find this balance and how they can apply it to race faster!
- SPRINTING: Sprinting is all about swimming with “controlled aggression!” Swimmers will observe and practice how to tweak their stroke to make them quick yet efficient - increasing tempo, shortening the breath, and a strong connected kick will lead to an explosive race!
- PACING: Pacing for races 100 yards or meters can be broken up many ways. Carlos will present different strategies on how to swim 100s: Experimenting and learning new techniques will allow swimmers to improve their 100 speed!
- UNDERWATERS: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's the fastest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap!