Explosive Performance: Starts and Turns
Sat, Sep, 18 2021 - Sun, Sep, 19 2021
Wissahickon High School
521 Houston Rd, Ambler, PA 19002
September 18 & 19, 2021
Explosive Performance: Starts & Turns Camp – Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle!
This two day swim camp will focus on essential skills that will add major speed and power to swimmer’s starts and turns! Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Saturday, September 18: Swimmers will focus on explosive starts, powerful underwater dolphin kicking, and snappy breakouts.
Sunday, September 19: Swimmers will work on accelerating through every flip turn and open turn into a well-timed finish.
This clinic will be led by Olympic Gold Medalist Cierra Runge and Elite Clinician Courtney Collyer.
Scroll down to read more about the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Days)
11 & under: Check in 10 AM, Clinic 10:15-12:45 PM
12 & over: Check in 1:30 PM, Clinic 1:45- 4:45 PM
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
September 18 (SATURDAY): STARTS, UNDERWATERS & BREAKOUTS
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block- the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by a dominating underwater. Cierra and Courtney have spent numerous hours practicing details of starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will work with swimmers on how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Cierra and Courtney will work with swimmers to find the best position on the block, as well as how to launch off with power into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's one of the most crucial components to maintaining speed off the walls! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to explode into the first stroke and accelerate onward.
September 19 (SUNDAY): FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerful push off every wall. Courtney and Cierra will lead participants through a series of drills to build compact, fast turns in any race.
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting their feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers will learn details of an expertly executed open turn, which involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with our clinicians to nail an efficient and quick open turn, and learn where to clean up any unnecessary drag.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Joao questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with clinicians, get autographs, and a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!