Past Clinic: High Performance Underwater Racing Camp
Sat, Sep, 21 2019 - Sun, Sep, 22 2019
Michael D. Holland Aquatic Center
14350 FM 1488, Magnolia, TX 77354
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Magnolia, TX.
George Ranch Practice PoolInfo
LISD Westside Aquatic CenterInfo
Westside High SchoolInfo
Two-Day Swim Camp – Sign up for one or BOTH days!
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving in the water is during the streamline after the start and after every turn? There’s a huge opportunity for your swimmer to capitalize on this speed and maintain their momentum into the breakout. This camp is all about maximizing your swimmer’s speed from the moment their feet leave the wall through their breakout in all four strokes.
This clinic will be led by Olympian Christopher Reid and NCAA All-American Tayla Lovemore! Christopher and Tayla will share the same drills and tips they used to become some of the fastest swimmers in the world. Scroll down to read more about the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 9:15 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-12:00 PM
12 & Over: Check in 1:15 PM, Clinic 1:30 PM-4:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Christopher and Tayla will be in the water leading four sessions – two for each age group. This camp is designed swimmers with at least one year of competition experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): FREESTYLE AND BACKSTROKE PUSH OFF TO BREAKOUT
The speed that your swimmer has after they push off the wall can easily go to waste if they don't have the proper technique to maintain their momentum into the first three strokes of freestyle and backstroke. This session focuses on establishing a strong streamline, aggressive underwater dolphin kicks, and explosive freestyle and backstroke breakouts.
- STREAMLINE: A good streamline is all about eliminating as much drag as possible to move through the water faster. Very few swimmers actually know how to streamline correctly. Your swimmer should be fully engaged from fingertips to toe tips with a strong core and proper body alignment. Christopher Reid and Tayla Lovemore will work with each swimmer to not only understand the techniques needed to have the best streamline possible, but he will also help the participants FEEL what it's like to move through the water with less drag.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Elite level swimmers have learned that they are faster underwater than they are on the surface... with the proper technique. They've figured out how to weaponize their underwater dolphin kicking to set themselves apart from the crowd by going 15 meters (the maximum distance you're allowed to go) every time! Attaining this speed is not as hard as you think. It takes the right technique, focus, and practice, but your swimmer can do it too! Learn from two of the best swimmers in the world in these sessions and get closer to achieving the dolphin kick of your dreams!
- FREESTYLE AND BACKSTROKE BREAKOUTS: Don't overlook the breakout! Both the timing and technique of the breakout are equally important to be able to maintain the momentum from the underwater dolphin kick into the first few strokes of swimming freestyle and backstroke. Your swimmer will work on keeping their head in line as they transition into their flutter kick, and they'll practice taking their first stroke with power and efficiency as they break the surface tension to launch themselves forward.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE PUSH OFF TO BREAKOUT
When the fastest swimmers in the world push off the wall in butterfly and breaststroke races, their goal is to maintain the momentum from the push off and then accelerate into their breakout so that the first three strokes are at maximum speed! At this session, Olympian Christopher Reid and NCAA All-American Tayla Lovemore will work with swimmers to find ways to maximize their breaststroke pullout as well as the first few strokes in butterfly and breaststroke races.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The breaststroke pullout is a challenging skill to master due to the importance of patience and timing. If your swimmer completes each step too slowly or too quickly, they'll lose momentum. There is a fine line between breaking your bodyline too soon and slowing down. Your swimmer will finetune their technique as well as their timing on when to engage the dolphin kick and how long to hold each glide phase.
- BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE BREAKOUTS: In both butterfly and breaststroke breakouts, it is important to breakout with the proper body position with hips high in the water. If the ascent is too steep, your swimmer will drag their hips through the first few strokes. Christopher and Tayla will work participants in these sessions to breakout faster in fly and breast races!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Christopher and Tayla questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Christopher and Tayla swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Christopher and Tayla, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!