Past Clinic: Comprehensive Backstroke Racing Camp
Sat, Sep, 21 2019 - Sun, Sep, 22 2019
Mecklenburg Aquatic Center
800 E. M.L.K. Jr Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28202
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Charlotte, NC.
Fargo North High SchoolInfo
Cumming Aquatic CenterInfo
Two-Day Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
This is a two-day high performance swim camp focused on racing faster in every backstroke race. Saturday’s session will focus on perfecting the flip turn, streamline, and underwater dolphin kick. Then on Sunday, participants will learn drills and techniques for fast and efficient backstroke.
Your Elite Clinicians for this camp will be Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary and SEC Champions Maddy Banic and Joey Reilman! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
11 & Under: Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30 PM-3:00 PM
12 & Over: Check in 4:15 PM, Clinic 4:30 PM-7:30 PM
11 & Under: Check in 10:15 AM, Clinic 10:30 AM-1:00 PM
12 & Over: Check in 2:15 PM, Clinic 2:30 PM-5:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Tyler, Maddy, and Joey will lead four sessions – two for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): FLIP TURNS, STREAMLINES, & UNDERWATERS
Mastering the details of a race makes the difference between a good swim and a great one. The fastest your swimmer will be moving is after the start and turn, so maximizing this momentum is a critical way to drop time. Practicing a compact flip turn, a tight streamline, and powerful dolphin kicks will help your swimmer gain speed on every wall.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- STREAMLINES: Swimmers should be in a tight streamline position off every start and turn. Squeezing the elbows to the ears and having flat overlapped hands will reduce drag and maintain a lot of momentum with little additional effort. Tyler Clary, Maddy Banic, and Joey Reilman will provide participants with a form that presents very little resistance to the flow of water, increasing speed and ease of movement.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): ELITE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help them compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation and a stable and balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with your clinicians to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmer's knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke? This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Tyler, Maddy and Joey will help swimmers maintain maximum propulsion with the proper kicking technique.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tyler, Maddy, and Joey questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tyler, Maddy, and Joey swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Tyler, Maddy, and Joey, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!