Past Clinic: High Performance Butterfly and Breaststroke Racing
Sat, Sep, 21 2019 - Sun, Sep, 22 2019
Fremont Ross High School
1100 North Street, Fremont, OH 43420
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Fremont, OH.
Pine-Richland Senior High SchoolInfo
John Glenn High SchoolInfo
Union County Family YMCAInfo
New Trier High School - NorthfieldInfo
Fox Chapel Area High SchoolInfo
Two-Day Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both sessions!
The camp will strengthen your swimmer’s skills in the short axis strokes, allowing them to swim faster and more efficiently! Saturday will cover butterfly. Sunday will focus on breaststroke.
This clinic will be led by Olympic medalist Kristy Kowal and OSU record holder Andrew Appleby! Their attention to detail and eye for perfect technique will make your participant a faster and more efficient swimmer! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 9:15 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-11:30 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-3:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Kristy and Andrew will lead two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without a coach’s endorsement.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): ELITE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
Olympic medalist Kristy Kowal and OSU record holder Andrew Appleby will work with participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with Kristy and Andrew on establishing and maintaining the proper body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Work on how and when to kick in butterfly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow your swimmer to have a more efficient butterfly. Kristy and Andrew will teach participants to get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: The most common mistakes that swimmers make in fly occur during the breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): ELITE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Your swimmer has the foundation, now learn from the expert how to utilize your core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Too many young swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" (i.e. slow themselves down) and exhaust themselves. Kristy Kowal and Andrew Appleby will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The three parts of the kick are hips, knees, and feet. Kristy and Andrew will work with participants to kick with power from their hips while keeping their knees close and feet wide. The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Get more out of each kick for a faster breaststroke!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on your body. Learn how your clinicians times their breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Kristy and Andrew questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Kristy and Andrew swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Kristy and Andrew, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!