Explosive Performance: Starts and Turns
Sat, Sep, 28 2019 - Sun, Sep, 29 2019
Sun Devil Fitness Center
400 E. Apache Blvd., Tempe, AZ 85287
Two-Day Explosive Power Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving through the water is after the start and after every turn? On Saturday, the curriculum will focus on explosive starts, powerful underwater dolphin kicking, and powerful breakouts. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every flip turn and open turn as well as discussions of race strategy and a championship mindset.
Leading each session of this camp is Elite Clinician and Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg! Kim is a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic clinician with the ability to relate with swimmers of all abilities. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days)
11 & Under: Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30 PM-2:30 PM
12 & Over: Check in 3:15 PM, Clinic 3:30 PM-6:00 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Kim will be in the water leading four sessions – two for each age group. This camp is designed for swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old without a coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): STARTS AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into the streamline and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg has spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Kim will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stoke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): TURNS, RACE STRATEGY, AND CHAMPIONSHIP MINDSET
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. Kim will also discuss how swimmers can vary their race strategy based on stroke and distance, as well as the importance of having a championship mindset to achieve goals!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- RACE STRATEGY: It’s important for swimmers to have a plan every time they dive in to race, but finding the right race plan for each swimmer takes time and experimentation. It works for some swimmers to have a slower tempo and take fewer strokes to conserve energy, while other swimmers go faster while exerting more energy at a higher tempo and stroke count. Kim will help each swimmer figure out how to balance these variables for races of any stroke and distance!
- CHAMPIONSHIP MINDSET: Fast swimming is a lot more than just training the body. Swimmers also have to prepare mentally for the pressure of a big meet! Your swimmer will get to hear how Kim Vandenberg conquered pre-race anxiety to perform with confidence on swimming’s biggest stage.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Kim questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Kim swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Kim, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!