High Performance Three-Day Camp
Wed, Jan, 02 2019 - Fri, Jan, 04 2019
3800 Victory Parkway, Cincinnati, OH 45207
Three Day Swim Camp for Swimmers ages 9-11 years old! – (Small sessions limited to only 36 participants)
This swim camp offers a three-part curriculum that addresses all the key components essential for high performance technique across all 4 strokes. Plus, work on key performance elements including starts and underwaters.
Leading each session will be two-time Olympian and coach to Olympians Brett Hawke along with 23-time Paralympic medalist Jessica Long! Sign up for one session, two sessions…. or enroll your swimmer in all three days for the ultimate learning experience.
(If you’re looking for the 12 & Older sessions click here.)
Take advantage of early bird pricing – Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Brett and Jessica will lead 3 sessions for swimmers ages 9 to 11. Each session will have a maximum of 36 participants.
SESSION 1: FREESTYLE & BACKSTROKE (Wednesday January 2nd)
Freestyle and backstroke can be challenging for swimmers of all ages and abilities to take to the next level because of the complexity of the technique in both of these strokes! Your swimmer will learn drills and skills to be able to understand and apply techniques to race faster in both free and back as well as how to accelerate through every flip turn with Brett Hawke and Jessica Long!
- FREESTYLE: Participants will learn how to hold a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Brett and Jessica will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Brett and Jessica will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
SESSION 2: BREASTSTROKE & BUTTERFLY (Thursday January 3rd)
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm! Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that they can swim more connected and with more efficiency!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Brett and Jessica will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim fly!
SESSION 3: ELITE RACING SKILLS (Friday January 4th)
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum, heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and finish, and you only get better with practice. Your racing skills can be the difference between winning and losing by hundredths of seconds! We’ll have you exploding off the blocks, extending your underwater streamline, and finishing with more speed after learning from Brett and Jessica!
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Brett and Jessica will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Brett Hawke is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and Jessica Long, dispite not having legs, uses her core and body to accelerate into her breakout. They both specialize in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
- FINISHES: Races can be won and lost by hundredths of a second. Many races come down to the very last stroke. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down so that your swimmer doesn't waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Jessica and Brett questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Jessica swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Jessica and Brett while wearing their medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!