High Performance Technique for Faster Racing
Sat, Dec, 29 2018 - Sun, Dec, 30 2018
Dedham Health & Athletic Complex
200 Boston Providence Highway, Dedham, MA 02026
Two-Day, Four Session Swim Camp!
Over two days, National Champions and Elite Clinicians Laura Sogar and Tom Luchsinger will be leading FOUR SESSIONS – each with a distinct curriculum designed for swimmers ages 9-13. Your swimmer is going to improve at this intimate high performance four-session camp.
Each session will be limited to 28 swimmers! Sign up for one clinic, two clinics, three clinics, or SAVE by signing up for all four! Read more in the curriculum for each clinic below.
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Laura Sogar and Tom Luchsinger will lead four sessions for swimmers ages 9-13. Sign up for 1, 2, 3, or ALL 4 sessions.
SESSION 1: STARTS, BACKSTROKE STARTS, AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is the fastest that a swimmer is ever moving in a race. It is your swimmer's opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into their underwater kicking. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and underwater dolphin kick and you only get better with practice. Laura Sogar will share her experience on how she found time to practice and improve her start and underwater dolphin kicking both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of her most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Tom and Laura will help each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. Laura will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Laura and Tom with work with participants to maintain a tight streamline while executing a powerful core driven whip that will allow them to accelerate into the breakout.
SESSION 2: FREESTYLE & BACKSTROKE
Freestyle and backstroke can be challenging for swimmers of all ages and abilities to take to the next level because of the complexity of the technique in both of these strokes! Your swimmer will learn drills and skills to be able to understand the WHY behind each movement as well as feel and apply techniques to race faster in both free and back from Laura Sogar and Tom Luchsinger!
- FREESTYLE: Participants will learn how to hold a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Tom and Laura will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. National Champion Laura Sogar and Tom Luchsinger will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
SESSION 3: OPEN TURNS, FLIP TURNS, & FINISHES
Most age group swimmers add in extra movements on their open and flip turns that slow them down and prevent them from carrying their momentum through the turn! Even at Olympic Trials we see many very fast swimmers who miss making finals and even the Olympic team because of their turns! The turn is an opportunity for a swimmer to actually GAIN MOMENTUM, when in fact most swimmers actually slow down. At this session, Laura Sogar and Tom Luchsinger will be in the water teaching your swimmer how to improve their turns so that they can drop time!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Laura and Tom will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- FINISHES: Races can be won and lost by hundredths of a second. Many races come down to the very last stroke. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down so that your swimmer doesn't waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
SESSION 4: BREASTSTROKE & BUTTERFLY
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm! Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that a swimmer's arms and legs aren't fighting each other and they can swim more connected and with more efficiency!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Laura will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim fly!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Laura and Tom questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Laura and Tom swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Laura and Tom's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!