Past Clinic: Explosive Power Three-Day Camp
Sat, Feb, 16 2019 - Mon, Feb, 18 2019
Cactus Aquatic Center
7202 E Cactus Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85258
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Scottsdale, AZ.
Sun Devil Fitness CenterInfo
Three-Day Swim Camp! Each session is limited to 36 participants!
This three-day camp will help your competitive swimmer generate more explosive power and momentum in every race. Day 1 will be all about fast starts and a championship mindset. On day 2, participants will work on flip turns and open turns. The last day will focus on underwater dolphin kicking, breakouts, and finishes.
On Saturday, there will also be an option to add on a special session for girls on self-image and nutrition.
Leading each session of this camp will be Elite Clinician and two-time Olympian Chloe Sutton as well as Marina Spadoni! Chloe and Marina are two of the most attentive and effective clinicians with Fitter and Faster! Scroll down to read more on the curriculum!
SAVE – Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Chloe will be in the water for 6 sessions each with a maximum of 36 participants. There will be 3 sessions for swimmers ages 11 & Under and 3 for swimmers ages 12 & Over. Sign up for one, two, or SAVE by signing up for all 3 sessions for your swimmer’s age group.
Day 1: Starts and a Championship Mindset
The first day of this three day swim camp will focus on your swimmer's mindset before they step up on the blocks through the moment your swimmer enters the water. Two-time Olympian Chloe Sutton will work with participants to have a strong mindset before each race. She will also take your swimmer through a series of drills and exercises to help teach your swimmer ways to go even faster during the fastest part of every race.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to launch themselves forward more efficiently and with a lot of explosive power. Chloe will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- CHAMPIONSHIP MINDSET: Sometimes the most important part of every race is your swimmer's mindset as they step up on the blocks. Chloe Sutton has learned how to conquer pre-race anxiety and turn it into speed. She knows what it's like to doubt herself and she has overcome it to be a more confident racer. Your swimmer will benefit from learning some of Chloe Sutton's tips and tricks to become more confident on race day.
Day 2: Flip Turns and Open Turns
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of the turns of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the push-off and streamline from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water other than the streamline after a dive. Even elite level, swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns and finishes that slow them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At these sessions, two-time Olympian Chloe Sutton will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Chloe will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
Day 3: Underwater Dolphin Kicking, Breakouts, and Finishes
With the championship season approaching, it is important to work on the details that can make a big difference in your swimmer's times. This session is focused on those details that are often overlooked. Your swimmer will be in the water with Olympian Chloe Sutton working on creating more power with their underwater dolphin kick so that they can breakout with more speed as they take their first couple of strokes. She will also work with swimmers to improve their finishes in every stroke.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Chloe Sutton is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and she specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
- BREAKOUTS: In these sessions, your swimmer will practice techniques to help your swimmer improve how they carry momentum from the start or turn, into the underwater dolphin kicks, and then into the breakout. The key is the timing of the first stroke and staying streamlined so that they create less drag. Your swimmer will practice keeping their head down and core engaged and it'll make a big difference in their breakout!
- FINISHES: Races can be won and lost by hundredths of a second. Many races come down to the very last stroke. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down so that your swimmer doesn't waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Girls Only Session (ONLY OPEN TO FEMALES SIGNED UP FOR AT LEAST ONE OF THE OTHER SESSIONS)
In this hour long discussion, swimmers will have a pizza lunch with two-time Olympian Chloe Sutton about the challenges that girls face as female swimmers. Chloe will go over several common struggles (that Chloe faced herself) and the tools that she uses to help maintain confidence and a healthy self image. Sign up for this open and honest discussion with Chloe Sutton.
- Body Image: Female swimmers are in a sport with very little clothing. There is nowhere to hide in a swimsuit. Learn to love the body that you see in the mirror and feel confident in your own skin and in your swimsuit.
- Social Media: Comparison is the thief of joy. With social media in today's culture, we are constantly assaulted with everyone else's highlight reel. Talk to Chloe about having the right mindset about social media!
- Confidence: Success in our sport is 90% mental. Believing in yourself is the most important component to success not only in the pool, but out of it as well. Cultivate confidence through positivity and learn tools to keep out doubt.
- Eating Properly: As athletes, we must learn to fuel ourselves properly. Learn nutrition for maximum performance with an Olympian!
- Q&A: Ask Chloe Sutton anything!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Chloe questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Chloe swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Chloe's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!