North Potomac, MD
High Performance Technique Camp Series
Sun, Jul, 18 2021 - Mon, Aug, 16 2021
Westleigh Recreation Club
14900 Dufief Mill Rd, North Potomac, MD 20878
During the summer of 2021, Fitter and Faster is offering two Summer Swim Camp Series in Potomac, MD that will help all participants become more intelligent, efficient and faster swimmers. To keep the information as streamlined for you as possible, we have created two different “camp detail/registration pages” for each series:
Camp Series 1 (This one!): High Performance Technique Series (Video analysis + four, 3-day camps)
Camp Series 2: Race Strategy Series (Three, 2-day camps + Video analysis)
2021 High Performance Technique Summer Camp Series
Start this series off with a video recording session of your swimmer in the strokes they’d like to improve. Then, progress week by week with four different High Performance Technique 3-day camps, each focusing on one specific stroke. Your swimmer is going to learn a lot and IMPROVE at each session of this camp series!
Each camp within this series is divided into groups based on your swimmer’s times. Click here for time standards AND session times.
Elite Video Filming & Analysis
– July 18: All Groups
Freestyle Comprehensive Racing Camp
– July 19-21: Groups A & B
– July 26-28: Group C
Backstroke Comprehensive Racing Camp
– July 26-28: Group A
– August 2-4: Groups B & C
Breaststroke Comprehensive Racing Camp
– August 6-8: Groups A & B
– August 10-12: Group C
Butterfly Comprehensive Racing Camp
– August 10-12: Group A
– August 14-16: Groups B & C
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure maximum individual feedback and social distancing!
Scroll down for details on the curriculum of each camp!
—> Sign up before May 1 to be entered to win 1 of 10 $100 gift certificates at Sport Fair in Arlington, VA!
The Video Filming and Analysis Day is for swimmers of all ages and abilities.
Each High Performance Stroke Camp is divided into Groups based on the participants’ times.
For Group Assignments AND Session Times >>> CLICK HERE
A great way to kick off a summer of swim camps is to have your stroke professionally filmed SIMULTANEOUSLY above and below water at strategic angles! THEN, have that video analyzed with voice over and graphics on the actual video by our expert swim coach. This will give you an opportunity to see what you are currently doing and what you will need to work on over the summer with our elite clinicians. Registrants can have one, two or save by having ALL FOUR strokes analyzed!
- REGISTRATION: Participants will receive an e-mail a week before the filming session with the specific time for your swimmer to check in, warm up, and be filmed. Please retain the order number - this is how swimmers will be identified on that schedule.
- FILMING: Our camera operator will have each swimmer swim two 25s at a strong pace of each stroke purchased (1 stroke or all 4 strokes). The filming of each stroke should take a little less than three minutes. The video will capture a side angle and a front angle simultaneously below and above water to get an accurate view of your swimmer's technique.
- ANALYSIS: Our expert coach will use a video analysis application to record their thoughts on your swimming. Swimmers can expect us to use slow motion, pause the video at specific points, and draw on their video all while talking to explain where each swimmer can improve their technique. Each stroke will have approximately 5 to 7 minutes of expert commentary that you can review with your coaches at home!
- TIMELINE: All videos will be analyzed and returned within 21 days of the clinic. The analyzed videos along with the original video will be sent via email.
July 19-21: Groups A & B | July 25-27: Group C
Swimmers will take their training and racing to the next level at this comprehensive freestyle racing camp! Each group will have three sessions: on the first day, participants will focus on the mechanics of a smooth and powerful freestyle to become faster and more efficient swimmers. The second day swimmers will focus on refining their race details including under-waters, turns, and finishes. Then on day three, participants will work on developing speed, focusing on distance per stroke vs tempo, pacing, and a freestyle training set.
- DAY 1 - HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE: As you know, freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits now will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Elite Clinicians will lead participants through a progression of drills that will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the freestyle stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- DAY 2 - FREESTYLE UNDERWATERS, TURNS & FINISHES: Swimmers will take their freestyle racing to the next level by emphasizing the small details that lead to big results. On each turn in a race or in practice, swimmers will learn to focus on having a compact flip, powerful push off, tight streamline, and explosive breakout. It's common for races to come down to the last stroke, and clinicians will work with your swimmer to make sure they have the right techniques to get their hand on the wall first!
- DAY 3 - FREESTYLE APPLIED SPEED: The technique for swimming a fast freestyle race changes depending on the distance. Learning how to prioritize tempo vs. length and speed vs. efficiency can make a big difference in maximizing speed in shorter races or increasing endurance in longer races. The session will also include a training set designed to challenge swimmers and complement the technical foundation developed on day one.
July 25-27: Group A | August 2-4: Groups B & C
This three-day comprehensive swim camp is focused on racing faster in every backstroke race (plus improve in the IM!). The first day will focus on developing a strong and efficient backstroke technique. On day two, participants will refine their racing skills by developing their backstroke under-waters, breakouts turns, and finishes. Then on the last day, participants will take their backstroke to the next level by learning different strategies for racing as well as a training set.
- DAY 1 - HIGH PERFORMANCE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE: Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation and a balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- DAY 2 - BACKSTROKE UNDERWATERS, TURNS, & FINISHES: Mastering the details of a race makes the difference between a good swim and a great one. The fastest your swimmer will be moving is after the start and turn, so generating power with underwater dolphin kicking is a critical way to drop time. Swimmers will also practice backstroke turns and finishes at full speed to know exactly when to turn and when to lunge for the wall, timing each flip and finish for maximum extension.
- DAY 3 - BACKSTROKE APPLIED SPEED: Take your backstroke racing to the next level by practicing different strategies for approaching any race. Elite Clinicians will work to take the solid backstroke foundation developed on the first two days and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing specific to any backstroke event. The session will also include a training set designed to challenge swimmers and complement the technical foundation developed earlier in the camp!
August 6-8: Groups A & B | August 10-12: Group C
This comprehensive racing camp is focused on racing faster in every breaststroke event. Day 1 will cover the fundamentals of strong breaststroke technique. The second day will strengthen key breaststroke racing skills including turns and pullouts. Day 3 will focus on applying speed to your stroke with a focus on rhythm and timing.
- DAY 1 - HIGH PERFORMANCE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE: More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Your swimmer has the foundation, now learn from the expert how to utilize your core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- DAY 2 - BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS, TURNS, & FINISHES: After building a solid breaststroke stroke on day 1, swimmers will then refine their racing skills for faster racing in any breaststroke event. The breaststroke pullout is a powerful weapon for swimmers to travel a long distance while using minimal energy, and maximizing that movement will help your swimmer push further off every wall. Your Elite Clinicians will also show your swimmer how to finish each race with a fully extended stroke to help them accelerate past their competitors!
- DAY 3 - BREASTSTROKE APPLIED SPEED: The Elite Clinicians will work with swimmers on how to develop a race plan for any breaststroke race, whether a 50, 100, or 200 and learn how to adjust technique for each distance. The session will also include a training set designed to challenge swimmers and complement the technical foundation developed earlier in the camp!
August 10-12: Group A | August 14-16: Groups B & C
Butterfly is one of the most technical and challenging strokes, and participants at this camp will focus on becoming more efficient and faster butterfly swimmers. Day 1 will review the basic technique of the butterfly stroke. On day 2, swimmers will work with clinicians to master butterfly racing skills including underwater dolphin kicking, and turns. Day 3 will focus on executing different strategies for racing any butterfly event as well as a butterfly focused training set.
- DAY 1 - HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE: Your Elite Clinicians will work with participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- DAY 2 - BUTTERFLY UNDERWATERS, TURNS, & FINISHES: After developing a strong butterfly stroke on day 1, participants will focus on refining the skills that will help them drop time in any race. Focusing on conserving momentum during a fast turn will allow your swimmer to rocket off each wall. Your Elite Clinicians will show participants how to capitalize on that speed with powerful underwater dolphin kicking to take their butterfly racing to the next level.
- DAY 3 - BUTTERFLY APPLIED SPEED: Take your butterfly racing to the next level by learning different strategies for approaching any race. Your Elite Clinicians will work to take the solid butterfly foundation developed on the first two days and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing specific to any butterfly event. The session will also include a training set designed to challenge swimmers and complement the technical foundation developed earlier in the camp!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with your clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!