Past Clinic: Race Strategy Camp: The IMs
Sat, May, 01 2021 - Sun, May, 02 2021
The St. James Sports, Wellness and Entertainment Complex
6805 Industrial Rd, Springfield, VA 22151
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Springfield, VA.
Henson Family YMCAInfo
Ocean County YMCAInfo
Warrenton Aquatic and Recreation Facility (WARF)Info
Carter Athletic Center at North Cross SchoolInfo
Batten Center at Virginia Wesleyan UniversityInfo
Hollidaysburg Area High SchoolInfo
NL Aquatic CenterInfo
George Mason Aquatic and Fitness CenterInfo
Lionville Community YMCAInfo
Racing IM fast requires a deep understanding of all 4 strokes and how to transition between them. This clinic will expand upon swimmers’ knowledge of technique in all the strokes and also introduce game plans for approaching different IM races. Learning things like breath control, rhythm for easy speed, and crossover turns are only naming a few things that you will improve. Olympic Gold Medalists Roland and Clark will help swimmers drop time in their IM.
Saturday, May 1: Butterfly & Backstroke IM Strategy
Sunday, May 2: Breaststroke & Freestyle IM Strategy
Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle. Scroll down to read more about the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Days):
Group B: Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9-11:30 AM
Group A: Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30-3:30 PM
Group A: 200 yd IM 2:35 and faster -OR- 100 yd IM 1:12 and faster
Group B: 200 yd IM 2:36 and over -OR- 100 yd IM 1:13 and over
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): BUTTERFLY & BACKSTROKE IM STRATEGY
Go out hard or go out strong? Fast or EZ speed? Olympic gold medalists Roland Schoeman and Clark Smith will help participants to understand the proper pacing for butterfly and backstroke so that they can race faster in any of their IM races. They will also work with the swimmers on underwater dolphin kicking and open turns to get in and out of every wall faster!
- BUTTERFLY to BACKSTROKE IM STRATEGY: In this session, Roland and Clark will work with participants to find the right balance of rhythm, length, and power to maximize the speed of the butterfly and backstroke legs of their IM. They will help swimmers understand themselves better so that they can start fast without spending all of their energy. This is a very strategic skill that can make a big difference in your swimmer's IM.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Many swimmers go through the motions of dolphin kicking without creating much power. At this session, Roland and Clark will work with each swimmer to learn the proper muscle activations, size, and frequency of their underwater dolphin so that they can accelerate through the breakout in both the butterfly and backstroke legs.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers will work with Clark and Roland on how to transition their momentum from the butterfly leg into their backstroke leg. If swimmers go through the motions of an open turn or have bad technique, they can lose valuable time in a race.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): BREASTSTROKE & FREESTYLE IM STRATEGY
Finishing strong is so important to racing a fast IM. This session is all about the pacing and strategy on the last half of the IM, breaststroke pullouts, and working on transitions from back to breast so that swimmers have the technique and back half speed to finish a race!
- BREASTSTROKE to FREESTYLE IM STRATEGY: Building speed through the back half of an IM is all about understanding how to increase tempo while maintaining length. Roland Schoeman and Clark Smith will work with participants to play with their tempo and length in both breaststroke and freestyle for a more efficient finish to their IM races.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Swimmers will polish up the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout.
- IM TRANSITIONS: The back to breast transition has a couple of ways that swimmers can go it. Roland and Clark will work with participants to finesse their IM transitions and explore different types of transition turns to have the tools to go from the back leg to the breaststroke leg the smoothest and fastest that they can!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Roland and Clark questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Roland and Clark swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with two of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Roland and Clark, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim cap AND a Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!