Past Clinic: High Performance Technique Camp
Fri, Apr, 26 2019 - Sun, Apr, 28 2019
Victor Schools Aquatic Center
953 High St, Victor, NY 14564
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Victor, NY.
New Fairfield High SchoolInfo
Raritan Valley Community CollegeInfo
Victor Schools Aquatic CenterInfo
Chelsea Piers Aquatic CenterInfo
Shaker High SchoolInfo
Pucillo Pool - Millersville UniversityInfo
Multi-Day Swim Camp – Sign up for one or multiple sessions!
Swimmers ages 11 and younger can attend a two-day swim camp and swimmers ages 12 & over can sign up for three-days of swim camp sessions. Scroll down to read more on the curriculum at each session.
Leading each session will be Elite Clinician and Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary! Tyler is one of the most experienced and requested clinicians with Fitter and Faster. He will be joined by Emily Escobedo and Renzo Tjon-A-Joe! Sign up today!
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Tyler will lead two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s recommendation.
SESSION 1 (Friday - 12 & Older Only): FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS, AND FINISHES
Most age group swimmers add in extra movements on their open turns, flip turns, and finishes that slow them down and prevent them from carrying their momentum through the turn and into the finish! Even at Olympic Trials we see many very fast swimmers who miss making finals and even the Olympic team because of the quality of their turns and finishes! The turn and finish are both opportunities for a swimmer to actually GAIN MOMENTUM, when in fact most swimmers actually slow down. At this session, Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary will be in the water teaching your swimmer how to improve their turns and finishes so that they can drop time!
- Flip Turns: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Tyler will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- Open Turns: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- Finishes: Races can be won and lost by hundredths of a second. Many races come down to the very last stroke. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down so that your swimmer doesn't waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
SESSIONS 2 & 3 (Saturday): STARTS, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING, AND BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking or breaststroke pullout and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Tyler Clary will share his experience on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- Starts: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to launch themselves forward with a lot of explosive power. Tyler will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to keep their body line straight and strong as they send their body forward with a lot of speed and power. Finally, he'll ensure that each swimmer is entering cleanly through a small hole in a tight streamline.
- Underwater Dolphin Kicking: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Tyler Clary is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
- Breaststroke Pullouts: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
SESSION 4 & 5 (Sunday): BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm! Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that they can swim more connected and with more efficiency.
- Breaststroke: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Tyler will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim fly!
- Butterfly: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tyler questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tyler swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Tyler's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!