Nassau, New Providence
Past Clinic: High Performance Technique Camp
Fri, Mar, 15 2019 - Sun, Mar, 17 2019
Lyford Cay International School
Lyford Drive, Western road, Nassau, New Providence
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Nassau, New Providence.
Three-Session Swim Camp – Sign up for one, two, or SAVE by signing up for all 3 sessions for your age group!
At this swim camp, participants will be able to attend three sessions. The first session will be starts and underwater dolphin kicking. The second session will focus on technique for fast freestyle and backstroke. The last session will be all about efficient technique for butterfly and breaststroke
Leading each session will be Elite Clinician and Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary along with Suriname Olympian Renzo Tjon-A-Joe! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Tyler and Renzo will lead three sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and three sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s recommendation.
SESSIONS 1 & 2: STARTS AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Tyler Clary will share his experience on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- Starts: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to launch themselves forward with a lot of explosive power. Tyler will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to keep their body line straight and strong as they send their body forward with a lot of speed and power. Finally, he'll ensure that each swimmer is entering cleanly through a small hole in a tight streamline.
- Underwater Dolphin Kicking: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Tyler Clary is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
SESSION 3 & 4 (SUNDAY): FREESTYLE AND BACKSTROKE
Have you ever noticed how freestyle and backstroke utilize the same kick, body position, posture, rotation, and an early catch? There are many similarities between freestyle and backstroke and creating maximum distance per stroke allows swimmers to race faster and imporve their endurance in long course! Your swimmer will learn drills and skills to be able to understand the WHY behind each movement as well as feel and apply techniques to build more power and race faster with Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary.
- Freestyle: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag which improves efficiency for long course. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Tyler will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every long course freestyle race.
- Backstroke: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Tyler Clary will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke to improve their speed in long course. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion and length. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!!
SESSION 5 & 6: BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm! Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that they can swim more connected and with more efficiency.
- Butterfly: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Tyler will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim fly!
- Breaststroke: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tyler questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tyler swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Tyler's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!