High Performance Freestyle and Backstroke Racing
Sat, Dec, 29 2018 - Sun, Dec, 30 2018
Avon Recreation Center
90 Lake Street, Avon, CO 81620
Two-Day Swim Camp: High Performance Freestyle and Backstroke Racing!
Heading to the mountains for the holidays? Stay sharp and get ahead of the competition at this swim clinic that will leave you with plenty of time to hit the slopes.
Elite clinician and Olympic Gold Medalist Nick Thoman will be focusing the curriculum on Saturday on explosive starts from the blocks, underwater dolphin kicking and breakouts. The curriculum on Sunday will cover backstroke starts and common technique for swimming backstroke and freestyle faster.
Sign up for one of BOTH sessions for your swimmer’s age group. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum and sign up today!
SAVE: Sign up early – before prices increase or the session fills up.
Nick will lead 4 sessions for competitive swimmers
Sessions 1 & 2: Starts, Backstroke Starts, Underwater Dolphin Kicking, and Breakouts
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman will share his experience on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach you some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Nick will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. Nick will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Nick is known is one of the fastest swimmers in the world underwater and he will work with participants to maintain a tight streamline while executing a powerful core driven whip that will allow them to accelerate into the breakout.
- BREAKOUTS: In these sessions, your swimmer will practice techniques to help your swimmer improve how they carry momentum from the start into the underwater dolphin kicks, and then into the breakout. The key is the timing of the first stroke and staying streamlined so that they create less drag. Your swimmer will practice keeping their head down and core engaged and it'll make a big difference in their breakout!
SESSION 3 & 4: FREESTYLE and BACKSTROKE
Freestyle and backstroke can be challenging for swimmers of all ages and abilities to take to the next level because of the complexity of the technique in both of these strokes! Your swimmer will learn drills and skills to be able to understand the WHY behind each movement as well as feel and apply techniques to race faster in both free and back with Nick Thoman.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Nick will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Nick questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Nick swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Nick's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!