New Haven, CT
Past Clinic: High Performance Freestyle and Backstroke Racing
Sat, Mar, 23 2019 - Sun, Mar, 24 2019
986 Forest Road, New Haven, CT 06515
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of New Haven, CT.
Shaker High SchoolInfo
Ithaca High SchoolInfo
James L McKeown Boys and Girls Club of WoburnInfo
James L McKeown Boys and Girls Club of WoburnInfo
Mexico High SchoolInfo
Two-Day Swim Camp: High Performance Freestyle and Backstroke Racing!
On Saturday, the curriculum will focus on starts, backstroke starts, and underwater dolphin kicking. The curriculum on Sunday will cover common technique for swimming backstroke and freestyle fast and efficiently.
The Elite Clinician leading this clinic is Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman! Swimmer of all ages and abilities have so much to learn from Nick and will improve a lot at this camp. Also leading the sessions will be National Champion Tom Luchsinger!
Sign up for one of BOTH sessions for your swimmer’s age group. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum and sign up today!
SAVE: Sign up early – before prices increase or the session fills up.
Nick will lead 4 sessions for competitive swimmers.
Sessions 1 & 2: Starts, Backstroke Starts, and Underwater Dolphin Kicking
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. This session will cover both dives off the blocks as well as how to utilize the backstroke ledge for a faster start and how to get more power through the underwater dolphin kick.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Nick will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position utilizing the backstroke ledge with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. Nick will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Nick is known is one of the fastest swimmers in the world underwater and he will work with participants to maintain a tight streamline while executing a powerful core driven whip that will allow them to accelerate into the breakout.
SESSION 3 & 4: FREESTYLE AND BACKSTROKE
Freestyle and backstroke can be challenging for swimmers of all ages and abilities to take to the next level because of the importance of perfect posture to reduce drag, a fast and flowing kick, and an early and immediate press back into the water with a proper catch! Your swimmer will learn drills and skills to be able to understand the WHY behind each movement as well as feel and apply techniques to race faster in both free and back.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Nick will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. This session will also cover tempo and length in the vast variety of different freestyle races to become a more strategic swimmer!
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Nick questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Nick swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Nick's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!