Past Clinic: Explosive Performance: Starts and Turns
Sat, Apr, 27 2019 - Sun, Apr, 28 2019
Prattville YMCA - Willis Bradford Branch
972 McQueen Smith Road South, Prattville, AL 36066
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Prattville, AL.
Two-Day Swim Camp – Sign up for one or BOTH days!
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving in a race is after the start and after every turn? At this high performance swim clinic, the swimmers will work on starts, backstroke starts, and underwater dolphin kicking on Saturday. Then on Sunday, they will focus on flip turns, open turns and finishes.
Your clinicians will be two-time Olympian Chloe Sutton, Olympian Luis Martinez, and 15-time All-American Michael Dunderstadt! Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for BOTH sessions! Scroll down to read more about the curriculum at this clinic.
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Chloe, Luis, and Michael will be in the water leading 4 sessions, two for each age group. This camp is designed for competitive swimmers only.
SESSION 1 & 2 (Saturday): STARTS, BACKSTROKE STARTS, AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Chloe Sutton will share her experience on how she found time to practice and improve her start both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of her most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to launch themselves forward with a lot of explosive power. Chloe will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to keep their body line straight and strong as they send their body forward with a lot of speed and power. Finally, she'll ensure that each swimmer is entering cleanly through a small hole in a tight streamline.
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. Chloe will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Chloe Sutton is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and she specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
SESSIONS 3 & 4 (SUNDAY): FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS, AND FINISHES
Most age group swimmers add in extra movements on their open turns, flip turns, and finishes that slow them down and prevent them from carrying their momentum through the turn and into the finish! Even at Olympic Trials we see many very fast swimmers who miss making finals and even the Olympic team because of the quality of their turns and finishes! The turn and finish are both opportunities for a swimmer to actually GAIN MOMENTUM, when in fact most swimmers actually slow down. At both of these sessions, Olympian Chloe Sutton will be in the water teaching your swimmer how to improve their turns and finishes so that they can drop time!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Chloe will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- FINISHES: Races can be won and lost by hundredths of a second. Many races come down to the very last stroke. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down so that your swimmer doesn't waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Chloe questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Chloe swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Chloe's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!