West Carrollton, OH
Past Clinic: Explosive Performance: Starts and Turns
Sat, Apr, 27 2019 - Sun, Apr, 28 2019
West Carrollton YMCA
900 South Alex Road, West Carrollton, OH 45449
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of West Carrollton, OH.
Inwood Athletic Club PoolInfo
Blairwood Tennis, Swim & Fitness ClubInfo
Columbus School for GirlsInfo
CSU Rec CenterInfo
Fremont Ross High SchoolInfo
East Grand Rapids Community PoolInfo
Campus Recreation CenterInfo
Sylvania Northview High SchoolInfo
Explosive Power Swim Camp – Sign up for one session or SAVE by signing up for both for your swimmer’s age group.
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving in a race is after the start and after every turn? At this high performance swim camp there will be three sessions. The first session will be Saturday for swimmers ages 10 and older focused on explosive starts, underwater dolphin kicking, and breakouts. On Sunday there will be two sessions, one for swimmers ages 12 and older and one for swimmers ages 11 and under, focused on fast turns!
Leading each session will be Elite clinician and National Champion Giles Smith! GIles is known for his detailed technical knowledge and is exceptional at teaching swimmers of all ages and abilities. Scroll down to read more about the curriculum.
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Giles will be in the water leading three sessions. This camp is designed swimmers with at least one year of competition experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 9 years old. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without their coach’s recommendation.
SESSION 1: STARTS, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING, & BREAKOUTS
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Elite Clinician and National Champion Giles Smith will share his experiences on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Giles will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Giles is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
- BREAKOUTS: Learn how to carry momentum from the underwater dolphin kicks into the breakout by timing the first stroke and staying streamlined. Your swimmer will practice keeping their head down and it'll make a big difference in their breakout!
Sessions 2 & 3: FAST TURNS (Plus, IM Transitions for 12 & over session)
Most age group swimmers add in extra movements on their turnsthat slow them down and prevent them from carrying their momentum through the turn and into the next length! Even at Olympic Trials we see many very fast swimmers who miss making finals and even the Olympic team because of the quality of their turns and finishes! The turn and finish are both opportunities for a swimmer to actually GAIN MOMENTUM, when in fact most swimmers actually slow down. At both of these sessions, Giles Smith will be in the water teaching your swimmer how to improve their turns and finishes so that they can drop time!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Giles will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- IM TRANSITIONS (12 & Over Only): The crossover turn is the fastest way to transition from back to breast in an IM race. It has made headlines lately with even the top swimmers getting disqualified for doing it incorrectly. National Champion GIles Smith will ensure that participants are aware of the rules and able to execute the crossover turn FAST and EFFICIENTLY.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Giles questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Giles swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Giles's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!