Saturday: SMU Robson & Lindley Aquatic Center, Dallas, TX
Past Clinic: High Performance Sprint Freestyle Racing Camp!
Fri, May, 03 2019 - Sat, May, 04 2019
Friday: Highland Park High School Pool, Saturday: SMU Robson & Lindley Aquatic Center, Dallas, TX 75206
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Saturday: SMU Robson & Lindley Aquatic Center, Dallas, TX.
High Performance Sprint Freestyle Racing Camp!
This camp is all about being a faster and more efficient sprint freestyler! There will be one session on Friday for swimmers ages 12 & older focused on explosive starts and underwater dolphin kicking. Then on Saturday, there will be two sessions, one for swimmers ages 11 & under and one for swimmers ages 12 & over. Both of these sessions will work on elite level sprint freestyle technique.
Your Elite Clinicians for this camp will be two of the fastest and most recognized sprinters in history. Each session will be led by 10-time Olympic medalist Gary Hall Jr. and 5-time Olympian (2 as a swimmer and 3 times as a coach) Brett Hawke! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Gary and Brett will lead three sessions: one for swimmers ages 11 & under and two for swimmers ages 12 & over. This camp is designed swimmers with at least one year of competition experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old.
SESSION 1 (12 & Over): Starts and Underwater Dolphin Kicking
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Three-time Olympian Gary Hall Jr and Olympic swimmer and coach Brett Hawke will share their experience on how they found time to practice and improve their starts both in and out of the water and share some of their most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of power. Brett and Gary will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Brett and Gary not only spercialize in fast underwater dolphin kicking, but also in teaching it so that your swimmer can learn how to unlock this important skill!
SESSIONS 2 & 3: Sprint Freestyle Technique
Did you know that a swimmer's technique should vary slightly depending on the distance their swimming? The arm pull, breathing timing, and rotation style will be different in the 50 than they are in the mile. In these sessions, your swimmer will work with two of the fastest sprinters in history to find ways to be more explosive in their freestyle technique and sprint faster in their shorter races!
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will renforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- KICK: Become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick from two Olympians.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Brett and Gary will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish! Learn new drills and exercises to get more explosive power out of every stroke!
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation form more connection and power out of every pull and every kick.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Brett will show your swimmer how to take quicker breaths that won't slow you down!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Brett and Gary questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
Brett and Gary will lead participants through a drill progression designed to help swimmers feel and understand the techniques required for faster and more efficient racing.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Olympians Brett Hawke and Gary Hall Jr., get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!