2019 High Performance Swim Camp Series
Sat, Apr, 27 2019 - Sun, Sep, 15 2019
CSU Rec Center
2420 Chester Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115
2019 High Performance Swim Camp Series in Cleveland, OH– Sign up for individual sessions or the whole series by clicking register now.
The Cleveland Swim Camp Series consists of TWO swim camps to be held at Cleveland State University. Each Camp is two days and consists of sessions that are focused on specific curriculum to help swimmers improve at key points in the season.
* Camp 1: Comprehensive Breaststroke Swim Camp (April 27 & 28): Elite Clinician and Olympian Kierra Smith
* Camp 2: Explosive Performance: Starts, Relay Exchanges, and Turns (September 14 & 15): Elite Clinician to be announced
Each camp will be led by Elite Clinicians who swam at the highest level and are exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Each of the two weekends will have two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under. The camp is not recommended for swimmers with less than 2 years of competitive swimming experience and swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these camps without your coach’s recommendation.
April 27: ELITE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE AND PACING
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Your swimmer has the foundation, now learn from Olympian Kierra Smith how to utilize your core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Too many young swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" (i.e. slow themselves down) and exhaust themselves. Kierra will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The three parts of the kick are hips, knees, and feet. Kierra will work with participants to kick with power from their hips while keeping their knees close and feet wide. The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Get more out of each kick for a faster breaststroke!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage you to keep your hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on your body. Learn how your clinician times their breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
- BREASTSTROKE PACING: Your swimmer will work with Olympians Kierra to figure out how to balance the proper stroke length and tempo to maximize their speed and endurance in every breaststroke race!
April 28: BREASTSTROKE TURNS, PULLOUTS, AND FINISHES
This session of this elite swim camp series in Cleveland, OH focuses on the details of racing breaststroke that are often overlooked! Participants will work specifically on maintaining momentum through the turn and underwater pullout as well as accelerating into the finish with Olympian Kierra Smith!
- BREASTSTROKE TURNS: A fast breaststroke turn begins before your swimmer reaches the flags. Timing the last stroke can make a big difference in how your swimmer gets through the turn. The goal is to touch the wall with arms outstretched, but without gliding and with high hips, before tucking into a tight turn and planting for a powerful pushoff. Olympian Kierra Smith will work with participants to specifically work on the fastest possible breaststroke specific turn!
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine!
- BREASTSTROKE FINISHES: Everything from how your swimmer times their last stroke, to the depth in which your swimmer touches the wall, will contribute to the quality of your swimmer's finish. Your swimmer should touch with maximum extension and momentum while almost feeling as if they're going to accelerate through the wall.
September 14: STARTS, RELAY EXCHANGES, AND Finishes
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Our Elite Clincians will share their experiences on how they found time to practice and improve their start both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of their most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Our Elite Clincians will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward explosively into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small exchange time and a fast exchange.
- FINISHES: Races can be won and lost by hundredths of a second. Many races come down to the very last stroke. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down so that your swimmer doesn't waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
September 15: FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS, AND Underwater Dolphin Kicking
Most age group swimmers add in extra movements on their turns and finishes that slow them down and prevent them from carrying their momentum through the turn! Even at Olympic Trials we see many very fast swimmers who miss making finals and even the Olympic team because of the quality of their turns and finishes! The turn is an opportunity for a swimmer to actually GAIN MOMENTUM, when in fact most swimmers actually slow down. At both of these sessions, our Elite Clinician will be in the water teaching your swimmer how to improve their turns so that they can drop time!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Our Elite Clinician will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Many of our elite clinicians are known as the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and specialize in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
At each session of this elite series, swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Elite Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe the clinicians at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!