2019 High Performance Swim Camp Series
Sat, Sep, 14 2019 - Sun, Sep, 15 2019
CSU Rec Center
2420 Chester Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115
Two-Day Explosive Power Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving through the water is after the start and after every turn? On Saturday the curriculum will focus on explosive starts and powerful underwater dolphin kicking. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every flip turn and open turn into a well-timed finish.
Leading each session will be four-time Olympian Roland Schoeman! Scroll down to read more about the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Days)
11 & Under: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-11:30 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-3:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
This camp will have two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under. The camp is not recommended for swimmers with less than 2 years of competitive swimming experience and swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these camps without your coach’s recommendation.
September 14: STARTS, RELAY EXCHANGES, AND Finishes
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Our Elite Clincians will share their experiences on how they found time to practice and improve their start both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of their most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Our Elite Clincians will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward explosively into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small exchange time and a fast exchange.
- FINISHES: Races can be won and lost by hundredths of a second. Many races come down to the very last stroke. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down so that your swimmer doesn't waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
September 15: FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS, AND Underwater Dolphin Kicking
Most age group swimmers add in extra movements on their turns and finishes that slow them down and prevent them from carrying their momentum through the turn! Even at Olympic Trials we see many very fast swimmers who miss making finals and even the Olympic team because of the quality of their turns and finishes! The turn is an opportunity for a swimmer to actually GAIN MOMENTUM, when in fact most swimmers actually slow down. At both of these sessions, our Elite Clinician will be in the water teaching your swimmer how to improve their turns so that they can drop time!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Our Elite Clinician will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Many of our elite clinicians are known as the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and specialize in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
At each session of this elite series, swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Elite Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe the clinicians at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!