Fort Wayne, IN
Explosive Performance: Starts and Turns
Sat, Jan, 12 2019
Summit Middle School
4509 Homestead Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46814
This swim clinic is designed specifically for Homestead High School swimmers.
The curriculum at this session will cover explosive power including starts and turns. There will also be a discussion on swim meet preparation, warm up strategies, and the importance of warming down.
The Elite Clinician leading this clinic is Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman! Nick is one of the most experienced and requested clinicians with Fitter and Faster. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum and sign up today!
SAVE: Sign up early – before prices increase or sessions fill up.
These sessions are for competitive swimmers ages 12 or high school aged swimmers only.
Technique: Explosive Power
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of starts and turns of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the start and push-off from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water. Even elite level, swimmers often add in extra movements on their starts and turns that slow them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At this session, Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race and build more speed through their underwater dolphin kicking.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Brett and Gabby will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward explosively into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Brett and Gabby will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
SWIM MEET STRATEGY
Also covered in this session will be ways to improve performance at swim meets. Nick Thoman will go over swim meet preparation, warm up, and warm down to help your swimmer step on the blocks more physically and mentally prepared to race fast.
- SWIM MEET PREPARATION: In the weeks and days leading up to a swim meet, swimmers should be physically and mentally preparing for the competition ahead. Get inside the mind of an Olympic gold medalist and learn his strategies for being at his best on the day of the competition.
- WARM UP: Getting your body ready on the day of competition is more than just swimming slow and stretching out. At this session, your swimmer will go over different techniques and strategies to helping your swimmer activate their muscles in a way that will help them race faster!
- WARM DOWN: Warming down is extremely important. Without it, your swimmer will have a lot more muscle fatigue which will prevent them from being able to race at the best of their ability throughout the rest of the meet. Properly flushing the lactic acid from their muscles from a long and relaxed warm down will keep a swimmer fresh and their muscles ready to race again. Learn how to do this with Nick Thoman!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Nick questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Nick swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Nick's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!