Fort Wayne, IN
Past Clinic: High Performance Racing Skills
Sat, Jan, 12 2019 - Sun, Jan, 13 2019
Summit Middle School
4509 Homestead Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46814
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Fort Wayne, IN.
Saturday: Center Grove High SchoolInfo
West Carrollton YMCAInfo
C.W. Avery Family YMCAInfo
Ashland Area YMCAInfo
Crawfordsville Aquatic CenterInfo
Munster High SchoolInfo
Stagg High SchoolInfo
Countryside YMCA | LebanonInfo
Northridge High SchoolInfo
Fair Valley Swim and Tennis ClubInfo
CSU Rec CenterInfo
Three Session Swim Camp! Sign up for one, two, or SAVE by signing up for all three sessions!
This swim camp will take place over two days and is designed for swimmers in Elementary and Middle School. On Saturday there will be a session on starts and underwater dolphin kicking. Then on Sunday, there will be two sessions: one on freestyle and freestyle flip turns, and one on backstroke and backstroke flip turns.
The Elite Clinician leading this clinic is Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman! He will be in the water teaching drills and providing feedback so that your swimmer can learn techniques to race faster! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum and sign up today!
SAVE! Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Nick will lead 3 sessions for Elementary and Middle School aged swimmers.
SESSION 1: Starts and Underwater Dolphin Kicking
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Nick Thoman will share his experiences on how he found time to practice and improve his starts both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Nick will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. The fastest swimmers in the world are faster underwater than on the surface and they utilize this skill. Nick Thoman is one of the fastest underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he will teach your swimmer how to unlock the speed and power of their underwater dolphin kick to race faster and drop more time.
SESSION 2: Freestyle and Flip Turns
Freestyle is the most technical stroke and it is also the stroke that you swim more than any other. At this session, Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman will be in the water leading participants through each part of the freestyle stroke and drills to help them deepen their understanding of fast and efficient freestyle technique and explosive flip turns. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Brett will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke.
- FREESTYLE FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Nick will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
SESSION 3: Backstroke and Backstroke Flip Turns
Many swimmers struggle with having confidence in their backstroke due to constantly fearing running into another swimmer, the lane line, or the wall. Nick Thoman has two Olympic medalist due to his backstroke technique. After a session working on building confidence in both backstroke and backstroke flip turns with Nick, your swimmer will have the confidence to blast through their backstroke races.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Nick Thoman will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!!
- BACKSTROKE FLIP TURNS: The faster you race into a turn, the faster you'll race out of a turn. Unfortunately, many swimmers slow down at the wall for fear of bumping their head! Nick will work with the swimmers in this session to accelerate into the wall with confidence in their count, taking one proper and fast crossover stroke, before executing a fast flip turn. I'll be surprised at the difference it makes!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Nick questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Nick swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by swimming at top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself.
Take a photo while wearing Nick's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!