Past Clinic: High Performance Racing Swim Camp
Fri, Dec, 21 2018 - Sat, Dec, 22 2018
Old Estill Springs Road, Winchester, TN 37398
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Winchester, TN.
Blairwood Tennis, Swim & Fitness ClubInfo
Two-Day Swim Camp! Sign up for one or both sessions for your swimmer’s age group!
Participants ages 11 & Under will work on freestyle and backstroke on Friday. Then on Saturday, they will work on starts, underwater dolphin kicking, and flip turns.
Swimmers ages 12 & Older will work on butterfly and breaststroke on Friday. Then on Saturday, they will work on starts, breaststroke pullouts, and open turns.
Your clinician for this camp will be two-time Olympian and coach to Olympians Brett Hawke. Brett is one of our most requested clinicians. Your swimmer has so much they can learn from Brett! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Brett will lead 4 sessions, 2 for each age group of competitive swimmers:
SESSION 1 (11 & Under): FREESTYLE & BACKSTROKE
Freestyle and backstroke can be challenging for swimmers of all ages and abilities to take to the next level because of the complexity of the technique in both of these strokes! Your swimmer will learn drills and skills to be able to understand the WHY behind each movement as well as feel and apply techniques to race faster in both free and back from Olympian and Olympic coach Brett Hawke!
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Brett will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Brett Hawke will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!!
SESSION 2 (12 & Over): BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm! Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that they can swim more connected and with more efficiency.
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Brett will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim fly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
SESSION 3 (11 & Under): STARTS, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING, & FLIP TURNS
The start is your swimmer's opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater dolphin kicking. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and your swimmer will only get better with practice. While the start is all about creating momentum, flip turns are all about maintaining momentum to carry speed through the change in direction and transitioning it into the underwater dolphin kicking. Sign up your swimmer to work with Brett in this session to improve on starts, underwater dolphin kicking, and flip turns!
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to launch forward with a lot of explosive power. Brett will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to drive their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Brett will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Brett with work with participants to maintain a tight streamline while executing a powerful core driven whip that will allow them to accelerate into the breakout.
SESSION 4 (12 & Over): STARTS, BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS, AND OPEN TURNS
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of starts and turns of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the start and push-off from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water. Even elite level, swimmers often add in extra movements on their starts and turns that slow them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At these sessions, Brett Hawke will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race and build more speed through their breaststroke pullout so that they can race faster and drop more time!
- STARTS: Brett will begin by going over the proper positioning on the block to get each swimmer ready to explode through their legs and snap into a tight streamline. As an Olympic sprint freestyler, Brett knows just how important it can be to have an explosive start. Learn from him how to gain more speed and distance in the air before entering the water in a tight streamline
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Olympic swimmer and coach Brett Hawke. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Brett questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Learn a progression of drills designed to help swimmers understand and feel powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Brett while wearing his medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!