Past Clinic: Comprehensive Backstroke Racing Camp
Sat, Oct, 12 2019 - Sun, Oct, 13 2019
880 W Baltimore Pike, Jennersville, PA 19391
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Jennersville, PA.
New Fairfield High SchoolInfo
The St. James Sports, Wellness and Entertainment ComplexInfo
Raritan Valley Community CollegeInfo
Victor Schools Aquatic CenterInfo
Fairland Sports and Aquatics CenterInfo
Stony Brook University - Campus Recreation CenterInfo
Chelsea Piers Aquatic CenterInfo
Yorktown High SchoolInfo
Shaker High SchoolInfo
Pucillo Pool - Millersville UniversityInfo
Rockville Swim and Fitness CenterInfo
Two-Day Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
This is a two-day high performance swim camp focused on racing faster in every backstroke race (plus improve in the IM!). The first day will focus on explosive backstroke starts and flip turns. The second day is all about fast and efficient backstroke technique.
This camp will be led by NCAA All-American and SEC Champion Aly Tetzloff and National Champion Austin Surhoff! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 9:15 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-11:30 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-3:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Aly and Austin will lead 4 sessions – two for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old without their coach’s permission.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): BACKSTROKE STARTS, FLIP TURNS, AND FINISHES
Did you know that the fastest your swimmer is ever moving in a race is immediately after the start and turns? At these key points in a race, many swimmers, even at an elite level, do not know how to truly explode off of the start or out of the turns. Swimmers can also add in extra movements that slow them down by creating drag. We believe that the start, turn, AND finish are your swimmer's biggest opportunity to drop time in their backstroke races. At this session, your swimmer will learn how to maximize their speed off of every backstroke start, into and out of every turn, and into the finish.
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position utilizing the backstroke ledge with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. NCAA All-American Aly Tetzloff and National Champion Austin Surhoff will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- BACKSTROKE FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and KNOWING THEIR COUNT! Then they'll use their core and arms to get through the turn. They will practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Aly and Austin will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- BACKSTROKE FINISHES: The backstroke finish is the hardest finish to perfect. Swimmers will work with Aly and Austin to master their count and reach back with a well-timed dolphin kick. This aggressive lunge will help your swimmer get their hand on the wall faster and more efficiently!
VDAY 2 (SUNDAY): ELITE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation as well as a stable and balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with Aly Tetzloff and Austin Surhoff to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmer's knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke. This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Aly and Austin will help swimmers maintain maximum propulsion with the proper kicking technique.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Aly and Austin questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Aly and swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Aly and Austin, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!