Three-Day High Performance Technique Camp
Wed, Jun, 12 2019 - Fri, Jun, 14 2019
Twin River Club
2248 Sweetbriar St., Wichita, KS 67204
Three-Day Swim Camp – Over three days, Olympic gold medalist Shannon Vreeland (who was born and raised in Kansas) will lead swimmers through drills to improve technique and efficiency in all four strokes and starts & finishes. Sign up for one, two, or SAVE by signing up for all 3 days of sessions!
On Wednesday, participants will work on freestyle and backstroke. Thursday will flip turns, open turns, and finishes. Then on Friday, the focus is on butterfly and breaststroke.
Shannon will teach participants the drills and tips she used throughout her career to develop from an age group swimmer in Kansas to one of the best swimmers in the world. Scroll down to read more about the curriculum at this camp.
Session Times (All Days)
11 and Under: Check in 10:00 AM, Clinic 10:30 AM-1:00 PM
12 and Over: Check in 3:30 PM, Clinic 4:00 PM-7:00 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Shannon will be in the water for each of the six sessions – three for each age group. This camp is designed swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s permission.
DAY 1 (WEDNESDAY): FREESTYLE AND BACKSTROKE
Freestyle and backstroke are called the “long axis” strokes because swimmers rotate their torso from side to side. Freestyle and backstroke utilize the same kick, body position, posture, rotation, and an early catch. Master these complex skills to become a faster and more powerful swimmer! Olympic gold medalist Shannon Vreeland will cover drills and skills to break down these strokes into easy-to-understand movements that will come together for a faster, stronger, and more efficient stroke.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Shannon will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows swimmers to swim stronger, but it also allows them to hold the proper body position. Shannon will help participants learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
DAY 2 (THURSDAY): FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS, AND FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns and a well-timed finish is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Shannon will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
DAY 3 (FRIDAY): BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE
Butterfly and breaststroke are called the “short axis” strokes because swimmers undulate at their hips, giving the strokes their distinct up and down motion. These strokes share many other technical attributes, and can be challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm and timing. Working on these two strokes together will deepen a swimmer’s understanding of the technique required to swim with more efficiency and speed.
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic strokes. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Shannon will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to create better habits every time they swim butterfly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Shannon questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Shannon swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Shannon, get autographs, and a gift from our sponsors!