Past Clinic: Three-Day High Performance Technique Camp – Ithaca, NY
Tue, Aug, 13 2019 - Thu, Aug, 15 2019
Ithaca High School
1401 N. Cayuga St., Ithaca, NY 14850
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Ithaca, NY.
Pine-Richland Senior High SchoolInfo
Penfield High School PoolInfo
Yorktown High SchoolInfo
Simon and Sara Birnbaum JCCInfo
Canajoharie Nellis PoolInfo
Fox Chapel Area High SchoolInfo
Yorktown High SchoolInfo
Shaker High SchoolInfo
Three-Day Swim Camp – Over three days, competitive swimmers will learn essential technique to swim with more efficiency and race faster. Sign up for one, two, or SAVE by signing up for all 3 days of sessions!
On Tuesday, participants will work on butterfly and breaststroke. Wednesday will cover starts and relay exchanges. Then on Thursday, the focus is on freestyle and backstroke.
Your Elite Clinician for this camp is Austin Surhoff! Austin was a National Champion at the University of Texas. Currently he is a very highly rated Elite Clinician for Fitter and Faster and a coach at the University of Virginia. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Each Day)
11 and Under: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-11:30 AM
12 and Over: Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-3:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Austin will be in the water for each of the six sessions – three for each age group. This camp is designed swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s permission.
DAY 1 (TUESDAY): BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE
Butterfly and breaststroke are called the “short axis” strokes because swimmers undulate at their hips, giving the strokes their distinct up and down motion. These strokes share many other technical attributes, and can be challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm and timing. Working on these two strokes together will deepen a swimmer’s understanding of the technique required to swim with more efficiency and speed.
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic strokes. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Austin will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to create better habits every time they swim butterfly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
DAY 2 (WEDNESDAY): STARTS AND RELAY EXCHANGES
Whether in an individual event or a relay, the start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and your swimmer will only get better with practice. Austin Surhoff will break down these important movements that begin each race.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Austin will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange.
DAY 3 (THURSDAY): FREESTYLE AND BACKSTROKE
Freestyle and backstroke are called the “long axis” strokes because swimmers rotate their torso from side to side. Freestyle and backstroke utilize the same kick, body position, posture, rotation, and an early catch; master these complex skills to become a faster and more powerful swimmer! Austin Surhoff will cover drills and skills to break down these strokes into easy-to-understand movements that will come together for a faster, stronger, and more efficient stroke.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Austin will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows swimmers to swim stronger, but it also allows them to hold the proper body position. Austin will help participants learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Austin questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Austin swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Austin, get autographs, and a gift from our sponsors!