Past Clinic: Three-Day High Performance Technique Camp
Thu, May, 30 2019 - Sat, Jun, 01 2019
Countryside YMCA | Lebanon
1699 Deerfield Road, Lebanon, OH 45036
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Lebanon, OH.
Saline High SchoolInfo
Blairwood Tennis, Swim & Fitness ClubInfo
CSU Rec CenterInfo
Fremont Ross High SchoolInfo
Three-Day Swim Camp – Sign up for one, two, or SAVE by signing up for all 3 days of sessions!
Each session of this high performance camp will focus on essential techniques designed for fast racing. Thursday will cover starts and underwater dolphin kicking. On Friday, participants will work on butterfly and breaststroke. Then on Saturday, the focus is on freestyle and backstroke.
Your clinician will be Elite Clinician and Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg. Kim is a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic clinician. She will be joined by ten-time Olympic medalist Gary Hall jr. and All-American Nils Wich-Glasen! Swimmers across the country have benefitted from learning from these three incredible swimmers AND teachers! Scroll down to read more about the curriculum at this camp.
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Kim will be in the water for each of the six sessions, three for each age group. This camp is designed for swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s suggestion.
Day 1 (Thursday May 30th): STARTS AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Kim Vandenberg will share her experience on how she found time to practice and improve her start both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of her most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- Starts: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to launch themselves forward with a lot of explosive power. Kim will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to keep their body line straight and strong as they send their body forward with a lot of speed and power. Finally, she'll ensure that each swimmer is entering cleanly through a small hole in a tight streamline.
- Underwater Dolphin Kicking: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Kim Vandenberg is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and she specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
Day 2 (Friday May 31st): BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE
Often called the short axis strokes, butterfly and breaststroke have many common attributes in their technique. Both can be challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm and timing. Working on these two strokes together can deepen a swimmer's understanding of the technique required to swim with more efficiency and speed.
- Butterfly: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic strokes. Elite butterflyers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Kim will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to create better habits every time they swim fly!
- Breaststroke: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
Day 3 (Saturday June 1st): FREESTYLE AND BACKSTROKE
Have you ever noticed how freestyle and backstroke utilize the same kick, body position, posture, rotation, and an early catch? There are many similarities between freestyle and backstroke! Your swimmer will learn drills and skills to be able to understand the WHY behind each movement as well as feel and apply techniques to build more power and race faster with Olympian Kim Vandenberg.
- Freestyle: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Kim Vandenberg will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- Backstroke: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Kim will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Kim questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Kim swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Kim's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!