Past Clinic: Comprehensive Breaststroke Racing Camp
Sat, Apr, 27 2019 - Sun, Apr, 28 2019
C.W. Avery Family YMCA
15120 Wallin Drive, Plainfield, IL 60544
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Plainfield, IL.
Merkel Aquatic CenterInfo
Northview High SchoolInfo
C.W. Avery Family YMCAInfo
Webster University Center PoolInfo
Hobart High SchoolInfo
Northridge High SchoolInfo
Central High SchoolInfo
Merkel Aquatic CenterInfo
New Berlin West Middle SchoolInfo
Valparaiso High SchoolInfo
Lyons Township High School SouthInfo
Smith Family YMCAInfo
Two-Day Comprehensive Breaststroke Camp – Sign up for one or BOTH Days!
This is a two-day high performance swim camp focused on racing faster in every breaststroke race. The first day will focus on fast and efficient breaststroke technique. The second day will work on open turns, breaststroke pullouts, and breaststroke finishes. Both days will have significant swimming time and utilize watching video for analysis of breaststroke racing technique and drills.
Each session will be led by National Champion in breaststroke Nic Fink and breaststroke Olympian Carlos Claverie! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Nic will lead two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s recommendation.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Great breaststrokers not only understand the components to a powerful kick and a strong pull, but they also understand how and when each piece fits togeether. At this session, National Champion breaststroker Nic Fink will be in the water to help each participant deepen their understanding of breaststroke through the use of watching video, drills, practice, and feedback.
- Body Position: It is very easy to create drag in breaststroke by letting your hips drop or feet sag! Maintaining a horizontal body position in the water is so important to keeping a fast and efficient stroke.
- Kick: National Champion breaststroker Nic Fink will work with each participant to understand how to set their feet on the water and jump off. Swimmers will learn how to keep their knees anchored and hips high throughout the kick to create more power and reduce drag.
- Pull: A breaststroke pull begins with a powerful outsweep that transitions into a strong catch during the insweep. Your swimmer's hands should accelerate through the finish under their chin before driving forward along the surface to land in a streamlined glide. The drills in this session will help participants learn the right width and speed of their pull for a more efficient breaststroke.
- Timing: One of the most important skills in breaststroke is mastering the WHEN! Your swimmer must have a solid understanding of when to pull, kick, breathe, glide, and accelerate! Through drills, video, and example, Nic Fink will ensure that your swimmer knows how each part of breaststroke fits together for a more connected stroke.
- Race Strategy: Each breaststroker and breaststroke race has their own sweet spot for the right tempo and stroke count. Finding the right formula can help any breaststroker drop time! At this session, your swimmer will work on their race strategy in the 50, 100, and 200 breast so that they go into every race with more confidence to be successful.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): OPEN TURNS, BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS AND BREASTSTROKE FINISHES
Breaststroke races are often won and lost because of the quality of turns and finishes of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the push-off and streamline from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water other than the streamline after a dive. Even elite level, swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns and finishes that slow them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At these sessions, National Champion Nic Fink will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- Open Turns: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke races!
- Breaststroke Pullouts: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from National Champion Nic Fink. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
- Breaststroke Finishes: Nic will work with participants to know when to take their last stroke before accelerating into the finish keeping their hips high and arms long. Swimmers will work on timing the touch perfectly with their fingertips while keeping their heads down for a faster finish.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Nic questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Nic swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best breaststrokers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Nic's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!