Past Clinic: High Performance Stroke Technique & Explosive Performance Swim Camp
Sat, Sep, 28 2019 - Sun, Sep, 29 2019
SUNY Potsdam - Maxcy Hall
005 Tupper Lake Drive, Potsdam, NY 13676
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Potsdam, NY.
New Fairfield High SchoolInfo
Victor Schools Aquatic CenterInfo
Shaker High SchoolInfo
Two-Day High Performance Stroke Technique & Explosive Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all four sessions!
Your swimmer is going to improve at this intimate high performance four session camp. Each session has a distinct curriculum designed to improve participants‘ performance over all strokes, as well as starts and turns.
Session 1: High Performance Freestyle and Backstroke
Session 2: Explosive Starts and Relay Exchanges
Session 3: High Performance Butterfly and Breaststroke
Session 4: Flip Turns and Open Turns
Your Elite Clinician for this camp is Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary! Although he won his medal in backstroke, Tyler earned multiple international medals in individual medley events and has a mastery of all four strokes. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
AM Session: Check in 9:15 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-11:30 AM
PM Session: Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30 PM-2:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up.
Tyler will be leading 4 sessions for swimmers age 10 & older who have at least one year of competition experience. Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all four sessions!
SESSION 1: HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE AND BACKSTROKE
Freestyle and backstroke are called the “long axis” strokes because swimmers rotate their hips and torso from side to side. Freestyle and backstroke utilize the same kick, body position, posture, rotation, and an early catch; improve these complex skills to become a faster and more powerful swimmer! Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary will cover drills and skills to break down these strokes into easy-to-understand movements that will come together for a faster, stronger, and more efficient stroke technique.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Tyler will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging the core not only allows swimmers to swim stronger, but it also allows them to hold the proper body position. Tyler will help participants learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
SESSION 2: EXPLOSIVE STARTS AND RELAY EXCHANGES
Whether in an individual event or a relay, the start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and your swimmer will only get better with practice. Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary will break down these important movements that begin each race.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Tyler will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange.
SESSION 3: HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE
Butterfly and breaststroke are called the “short axis” strokes because swimmers undulate at their hips, giving the strokes their distinct up and down motion. These strokes share many other technical attributes, and can be challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm and timing. Working on these two strokes together will deepen a swimmer’s understanding of the technique required to swim with more efficiency and speed.
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic strokes. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Tyler will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to create better habits every time they swim butterfly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Learn to utilize the same technique and strategies as world-class breaststrokers. Your swimmer will continue the process of reducing drag in this rhythmic stroke. We will focus on the timing of the kick and pull; swimming in a horizontal plane with a small powerful kick; keeping the hips high throughout the whole stroke; and generating forward power in their recovery.
SESSION 4: FAST FLIP TURNS AND OPEN TURNS
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Tyler Clary will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tyler questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tyler swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Tyler, get autographs, and a gift from our sponsors!