Explosive Performance: Starts and Turns
Sat, Sep, 28 2019 - Sun, Sep, 29 2019
Regional YMCA of Western Connecticut Greenknoll Branch
2 Huckleberry Hill Road, Brookfield, CT 06804
Two-Day Explosive Power Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving through the water is after the start and after every turn? On Saturday, the curriculum will focus on explosive starts and relay exchanges as well as underwater dolphin kicking. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every wall whether with a flip turn or an open turn.
Leading each session will be 2016 Rio Olympian Renzo Tjon-A-Joe. Renzo grew up in a 3rd world country, Suriname, where his coaches had limited knowledge of the sport and he had no training partners. Despite all that – he is now one of the FASTEST SWIMMERS IN THE WORLD. He swam for Auburn University, studied economics at Harvard and speaks six languages. Renzo is a patient and clever teacher – and will have a tremendous impact on the participants of this swim camp. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 9:15 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-12:00 PM
12 & Over: Check in 1:15 PM, Clinic 1:30 PM-4:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Renzo will be in the water leading four sessions – two for each age group. The 12 & over age group is perfect for high school swimmers looking to gain a competitive edge for the high school season. The 11 & under age group fits younger swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): STARTS, RELAY EXCHANGES, AND UNDERWATERS
Get a jump start on the competition by learning a fast and powerful relay start! Relays are some of the most fun events in swimming, and your team will have a major advantage when you learn the technique of a proper relay exchange. They share a lot of similar movements to regular starts, and Olympian Renzo Tjon-A-Joe will break down those important components for both types of starts. Swimmers will learn to maximize their momentum from the start with powerful dolphin kicks.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Renzo will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): FLIP TURNS AND OPEN TURNS
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Renzo will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Renzo questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Renzo swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Renzo, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!