High Performance Starts, Turns, and Freestyle Camp
Fri, Jul, 23 2021 - Sun, Jul, 25 2021
Cole Center Family YMCA
700 Garden St, Kendallville, IN 46755
JULY 23-24, 2021
High-Performance Swim camp –Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you sign up for the 2-day, 4 session bundle!
Butterfly and breaststroke are technical and challenging strokes! Participants at this camp will focus on becoming more efficient and faster swimmers in both strokes! Participants have the foundation; now, they will work with our clinicians to utilize both butterfly and breaststroke nuances to create a fluid, powerful and forward driving stroke. Participants will work on these specific skills over four sessions, strengthening their swims and powering them past the competition!
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
This clinic will be led by NCAA All-American Aly Tetzloff!
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
Session 1: Check in 8 AM, Clinic 8:15-11 AM
Session 2: Check in 11:45 AM, Clinic 12-2:45 PM
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
JULY 23 (SESSION 1): BUTTERFLY & BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Butterfly and breaststroke are technical and challenging strokes! Participants at this camp will focus on becoming more efficient and faster swimmers in both strokes! Participants have the foundation; now, they will work with our clinicians to utilize the nuances of both butterfly and breaststroke to create a fluid, powerful and forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers and breaststrokers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high resulting in an undulating body movement in both strokes! Participants will work with Aly on establishing and maintaining a proper butterfly body position.
- BREATH TIMING: A common mistake swimmers run into is mistiming their breath in both butterfly and breaststroke. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently during their strokes!
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will proper catch allow swimmers to have a more efficient butterfly and breaststroke stroke. Aly will help participants get an early catch on the water for more power in every stroke.
- KICK: The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke, and Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks creating strong propulsion. Aly will work with participants to polish up their kick resulting in a powerful movement forward on each stroke.
JULY 23 (SESSION 2): STARTS & UNDERWATERS
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by an efficient and dominating underwater. NCAA All-American Aly Tetzloff has spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will work with swimmers on how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Aly will work with swimmers to find their best position on the block as well as how to powerfully launch off into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's the fastest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate to explode into the lap.
JULY 24 (SESSION 1): TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerfully push off every wall. Aly Tetzloff will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race.
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers should not just go through the motions of an open turn; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with Aly to nail an efficient and quick open turn.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
JULY 24 (SESSION 2): HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Creating and cultivating good habits will not only make swimmers faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. NCAA All-American Aly Tetzloff will be in the water and on deck leading participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These skills will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Swimmer’s freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Participants will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: A fast kick is the motor behind a swimmer's stroke! Participants will polish up their kicking to become stronger and faster through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Joao will work with swimmers on how to get the maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke!
- BREATH: Timing is everything! Aly will work with the participants on how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Aly questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Aly swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Aly, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap and a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!