High Performance Butterfly and Breaststroke Racing
Sat, Jul, 17 2021 - Sun, Jul, 18 2021
Azionaqua Swim Club (Outdoor)
4875 Willow Rd, Zionsville, IN 46077
JULY 17-18, 2021
High Performance Butterfly and Breaststroke Racing –Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle!
The camp will strengthen swimmer’s skills in the short axis strokes, allowing them to swim faster and more efficiently! Saturday participants will work on their butterfly. Sunday, they will focus on their breaststroke.
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
This camp will be led by Elite Clinician Nils Wich-Glasen and Paralympian Tucker Dupree!
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 7:15 AM, Clinic 7:30-9:30 AM
12 & Over: Check in 10:15 AM, Clinic 10:30-1 PM
This camp is designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old should consult with their coaches before registering.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
Participants will work with Nils Wich-Glasen and Tucker Dupree to improve on the nuances of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Swimmers will work to make these habits their own!
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with Joao on establishing and maintaining a proper butterfly body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Attendees will work on how and when to kick in fly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow swimmers to have a more efficient butterfly. Nils and Tucker will help participants get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: A common mistake swimmers run into is mistiming their breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is undeniably the fastest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed and applying it is vital for every swimmer!
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): HIGH PERFORMANCE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! A swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Participants have the foundation, now they will work with Nils Wich-Glasen and Tucker Dupree on how to utilize core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Many swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" and exhaust themselves. Nils will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Nils and Tucker will work with participants to polish up their kick resulting in the ultimate propulsion forward!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on the body. Learn how Austin times his breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool. Participants will practice how to utilize this skill in their breaststroke swims!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tucker Dupree and Nils Wich-Glasen questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Nils and Tucker swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Nils Wich-Glasen and Tucker Dupree, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap!