Past Clinic: High Performance Starts and Turns
Sat, Oct, 13 2018 - Sun, Oct, 14 2018
1137 South State Street, Dover, DE 19901
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Dover, DE.
New Fairfield High SchoolInfo
The St. James Sports, Wellness and Entertainment ComplexInfo
Raritan Valley Community CollegeInfo
Hollidaysburg Area Senior High SchoolInfo
Fairland Sports and Aquatics CenterInfo
Stony Brook University - Campus Recreation CenterInfo
Chelsea Piers Aquatic CenterInfo
Yorktown High SchoolInfo
Pucillo Pool - Millersville UniversityInfo
Rockville Swim and Fitness CenterInfo
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer should be moving in a race is after the start and after every turn?
Olympian Chloe Sutton will teach your swimmer how to maximize their speed at these key points in a race and how to maintain that momentum. At this high performance swim clinic, there will be one session focusing on starts and another focusing on turns.
Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for BOTH sessions for your swimmer’s age group! Scroll down to read more about the curriculum at this clinic.
SAVE by signing up with Early Bird Pricing! Prices will rise as we get closer to the clinic.
Chloe will lead four sessions. Sign up for 1 or both sessions for your swimmer’s age group!
SESSION 1 & 3: POWERFUL STARTS
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into your streamline and underwater kicking. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Olympian Chloe Sutton will share her experience on how she found time to practice and improve her start both in and out of the water and teach you some of her most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTING POSITION: Everyone's foot placement might be a bit different but Chloe will teach you how to figure out what is best for you to gain both stability on the block and explosive power when leaving the block. Know exactly where to place your hands so that you can pull with your arms for a more powerful dive!
- REACTION TIME: The quicker you react the quicker you'll get in the water! Learn the secrets of improving your reaction time.
- POWER: Chloe will work with the swimmers on how to use their arms, explode through their legs, and tighten their core to be able to get as much distance and power off of the block as possible.
- BODYLINE: How you enter the water is just as important as how explosive you are off the blocks - all the power you created can be for naught if you don't carry that speed forward. Experiment with how steep is too steep, how to get into one small entry hole in a tight streamline, and how to stay strong from fingertips to toes.
SESSION 2 & 4: OPEN TURNS AND FLIP TURNS
Most age group swimmers add in extra movements on their open and flip turns that slow them down and prevent them from carrying their momentum through the turn! Even at Olympic Trials we see many very fast swimmers who miss making finals and even the Olympic team because of their turns! The turn is an opportunity for a swimmer to actually GAIN MOMENTUM, when in fact most swimmers actually slow down. At both of these sessions, Olympian Chloe Sutton, will be in the water teaching your swimmer how to improve their turns so that they can drop time!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Chloe will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You don't turn around; you spin backwards! Spinning backwards enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. Turning around is a process of stopping and going again. YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THIS! We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Chloe questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Chloe swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves
Take a photo while wearing Chloe's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!