Past Clinic: High Performance Racing Camp
Sat, Jun, 22 2019 - Sun, Jun, 23 2019
Merkel Aquatic Center
201 S. Green St., McHenry, IL 60050
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of McHenry, IL.
Smith Family YMCAInfo
Eisenhower Middle-High SchoolInfo
Central Park PoolInfo
Crown Point High SchoolInfo
Northview High SchoolInfo
C.W. Avery Family YMCAInfo
Crawfordsville Aquatic CenterInfo
Hobart High SchoolInfo
Lyons Township High School SouthInfo
Two-Day High Performance Racing Camp! – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both sessions!
This camp is all about being a faster and more efficient racer! There will be two sessions on Saturday (one for swimmers ages 11 & under and one for swimmers 12 & over) focused on sprint freestyle technique and powerful underwater kicking. Sunday will also have one session for each age group covering important race details including flip turns, open turns, and finishes.
Your Elite Clinician for this camp is Austin Surhoff! Austin is National Champion from the University of Texas and is using his expertise to teach and inspire the next generation of swimmers as a coach at the University of Virginia. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days)
11 & Under: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-11:30 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-3:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Austin will lead two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under and two session for swimmers ages 12 & over with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for this clinic without a coach’s recommendation.
DAY 1: SPRINT FREESTYLE AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
Did you know that a swimmer’s technique should vary slightly depending on the distance they’re swimming? The arm pull, breath timing, and rotation style will be different in the 50 than they are in the mile. In this session, Austin will work with your swimmer on how to become more explosive in their freestyle technique and sprint faster in shorter races.
- BODY POSITION: Your swimmer’s freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core in order to create rotation, making each stroke more powerful and connected.
- KICK: Become a stronger and faster kicker by learning about both the technique and timing of each kick from National Champion Austin Surhoff.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Austin will teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish! Learn new drills and exercises to get more explosive power out of every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Swimmers will learn how to take quicker breaths that won’t slow them down!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Austin not only specializes in fast underwater dolphin kicking, but also in teaching it so that your swimmer can learn how to unlock this important skill!
DAY 2: FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS, AND FINISHES
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of turns and finishes. Many people don’t realize this, but the push off and streamline from the start and each wall SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water. Even at the elite level, swimmers often add extra movements on their turns and finishes that slow them down and even cause them to lose close races. At this session, Austin will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and using their core and arms to get through the turn. They will practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Austin will give your swimmer drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off. Austin will teach them how to cut a lot of time on this turn, helping in all breaststroke and butterfly races!
- FINISHES: Races can be won and lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Austin questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Austin swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient, and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Austin Surhoff, get autographs, and receive a free gift!