High Performance Butterfly and Breaststroke Racing
Sat, Sep, 21 2019 - Sun, Sep, 22 2019
Ontario, Canada (Two Locations)
Saturday-Southside: 315 Finkle St Woodstock, ON; Sunday- Tillsonburg: 45 Hardy Ave. Tillsonburg, ON, ,
Two-Day Butterfly and Breaststroke Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
This swim camp focuses on the complete race for the two strokes that require the most precise timing and rhythm: butterfly and breaststroke. Saturday will focus on butterfly technique along with underwater dolphin kicking and open turns for butterfly. Then on Sunday, the curriculum will be breaststroke technique, pullouts, and open turns for breaststroke.
This camp will be led by Olympian Kierra Smith and former University of Toronto swimmer Melanie McDonald! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times & Locations
Check in 3:15 PM, Clinic 3:30 PM-6:30 PM
Southside Pool 315 Finkle St. Woodstock, ON
Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9:00 AM-12:00 PM
Tillsonburg Community Centre 45 Hardy Ave. Tillsonburg, ON
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Kierra and Melanie will lead two sessions for all swimmers ages 9 & over with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without a coach’s permission.
Prices are in Canadian Dollars:
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING, & TURNS
Olympian Kierra Smith and Melanie McDonald will work with the participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with Kierra and Melanie on establishing and maintaining the proper body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Work on how and when to kick in butterfly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow your swimmer to have a more efficient butterfly. Kierra and Melanie will teach participants to get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: The most common mistakes swimmers make in fly occur during the breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BUTTERFLY TURNS: Maintain your speed and momentum through the turn in every butterfly race! Swimmers will practice timing their turn to touch with their head down on the last stroke and arms outstretched. They'll practice spinning backwards and jumping off the wall with power into a tight streamline before beginning their underwater dolphin kick. The breathing through a butterfly turn can be a challenge, but participants will feel the difference when they learn when and how to breathe properly for faster turns in every butterfly race.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE, PULLOUTS, & TURNS
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Your swimmer has the foundation, now learn from the expert how to utilize your core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Too many young swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" (i.e. slow themselves down) and exhaust themselves. Olympian Kierra Smith and Melanie McDonald will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The three parts of the kick are hips, knees, and feet. Kierra and Melanie will work with participants to kick with power from their hips while keeping their knees close and feet wide. The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Get more out of each kick for a faster breaststroke!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on your body. Learn how your clinicians time their breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
- PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
- BREASTSTROKE TURNS: The breaststroke turn requires an aggressive lunge on the last stroke to touch with two hands. The swimmer should have their arms fully stretched and their head between their arms. The timing and technique of the last stroke of breaststroke is important to set up the turn properly. Participants will drive their knees in towards their chest with toes pointed before getting into the perfect push off position to begin their breaststroke pullout with speed.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Kierra and Melanie questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Kierra and Melanie swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Kierra and Melanie, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!