High Performance Butterfly and Breaststroke Racing
Sat, Jun, 22 2019 - Sun, Jun, 23 2019
Ontario, Canada (Two Locations)
Saturday-Wilmot: 1291 Nafziger Rd, Baden, ON; Sunday-Southside: 315 Finkle St Woodstock, ON, ,
Two-Day Butterfly and Breaststroke Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
This swim camp focuses on the two strokes that require the most precise timing and rhythm. The curriculum will be open turns, underwater dolphin kicking, and breaststroke pullouts on Saturday. Then on Sunday, the curriculum will focus on technique for fast and efficient butterfly and breaststroke.
Your clinician for this camp is World Championship gold medalist Tim Phillips! Tim used his focus on technique and mental training to become one of the world’s fastest butterfliers. Also leading each session is Olympian Kierra Smith! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Tim and Kierra will lead two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without a coach’s recommendation.
Prices are in Canadian Dollars:
DAY 1: OPEN TURNS, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING, AND BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of turns and underwaters of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the push-off and streamline from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water other than the streamline after a dive. Even elite level swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns that slow them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At this session, Tim Phillips will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap. If they’re doing this - they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off. We're going to teach them how to cut a lot of time on this turn, helping in all breaststroke and butterfly races!
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Tim. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Tim is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
DAY 2: BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm. Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that they can swim more connected and with more efficiency.
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Tim will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim butterfly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tim questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tim swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Tim’s medals, get autographs, and receive a free gift!