High Performance IM Racing and Strategy Camp
Sat, Sep, 14 2019 - Sun, Sep, 15 2019
Mexico High School
3338 Main Street, Mexico, NY 13114
Two Day IM Racing Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Fast racing is all in the details. At this swim camp there will be four sessions, two for each age group, focused on each component of racing fast in the IM! On Saturday, the curriculum will be strategy and pacing for the butterfly and backstroke legs, underwater dolphin kicking, and open turns. Then on Sunday, participants will work on pacing and strategy for the breaststroke and freestyle legs of the IM, breaststroke pullouts, and the crossover turn.
Leading each session will be NCAA 400 IM Champion Sarah Henry and SEC Champion Michael Duderstadt! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days)
11 & Under: Check in 9:15 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-11:30 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-3:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Michael and Sarah will lead four sessions, two for each age group: 11 & under and 12 & over. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 8 years old are not recommended without their coach’s permission.
Day 1 (Saturday): Butterfly & Backstroke IM Strategy, Underwater Dolphin Kicking, and Open Turns
Many swimmers struggle with how to pace the first half of an IM so that they're racing as fast and efficiently as possible without spending too much energy. NCAA Champion Sarah Henry and SEC Champion Michael Duderstadt will help participants to understand the proper pacing for butterfly and backstroke so that they can race faster in each of their IM races. They will also work with the swimmers on underwater dolphin kicking and open turn to get in and out of every wall faster!
- BUTTERFLY TO BACKSTROKE IM STRATEGY: In this session, Michael and Sarah will work with participants to find the right balance of rhythm, length, and power to maximize the speed of the butterfly and backstroke legs of their IM. They will help swimmers understand themselves better so that they can start fast without spending all of their energy. This is a very strategic skill that can make a big difference in your swimmer's IM.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Many swimmers push off the wall and simply go through the motions of dolphin kicking without creating much power. At this session, your clinicians will work with each swimmer to learn the proper muscle activations, size, and frequency of their underwater dolphin so that they can accelerate through the breakout faster than ever before.
- OPEN TURNS: Technique for a great open turn starts over 5 meters out from the wall by making sure that swimmers time their last stroke to touch at full extension. Then from there the open turn is a backwards spin initiated by driving your knees agressively into your chest and tucking your chin. This process allows a swimmer to carry their momentum through the turn and into an even faster streamline.
Day 2 (Sunday): Breaststroke and Freestyle IM Strategy, Breaststroke Pullouts, and Crossover Turns
Finishing strong is so important to racing a fast IM. The key is finding the right tempo on the breaststroke and freestyle lengths to allow a swimmer to accelerate to the finish without losing momentum. These sessions are all about the pacing and strategy on the last half of the IM as well as breaststroke pullouts and the fastest turn your swimmer can do to transition from back to breast: the crossover turn.
- BREASTSTROKE TO FREESTYLE IM STRATEGY: Building speed through the back half of an IM is all about understanding how to increase tempo while maintaining length. Michael Duderstadt and Sarah Henry will work with participants to play with their tempo and length in both breaststroke as well as freestyle for a more efficient finish to their IM races.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Michael. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
- IM TRANSITIONS: The crossover turn is the fastest way to transition from back to breast in an IM race. It has made headlines lately with even the top swimmers getting disqualified for doing it incorrectly. Your clinicians will ensure that participants are aware of the rules and able to execute the crossover turn FAST and EFFICIENTLY.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Michael and Sarah questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Michael and Sarah swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Michael and Sarah, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!