Past Clinic: Comprehensive Freestyle Racing Camp
Sat, Sep, 14 2019 - Sun, Sep, 15 2019
103 Midway Drive, Carlisle, PA 17015
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Carlisle, PA.
Lower Moreland High SchoolInfo
Regional YMCA of Western Connecticut Greenknoll BranchInfo
Hollidaysburg Area Senior High SchoolInfo
JCC of MargateInfo
Simon and Sara Birnbaum JCCInfo
Utica College Harold T. Clark Athletic CenterInfo
Watertown High SchoolInfo
Warrenton Aquatic and Recreation FacilityInfo
Fox Chapel Area High SchoolInfo
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – This camp will focus on racing faster in every freestyle race (plus improve in the IM!). Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Each age group will have two sessions: on Saturday, participants will refine their race details, focusing on underwater kicking, flip turns, and tight streamlines. Then on Sunday, participants will focus on the mechanics of a smooth and powerful freestyle to become faster and more efficient swimmers.
This camp will be led by Elite Clinician and Olympian Brett Hawke, former Auburn University team captain Foster Ballard, and NCAA All-American Liam McCloskey! Brett, Foster, and Liam will share their passion for swimming and provide world-class instruction for each swimmer in a fun learning environment. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days)
11 & Under: Check in 9:15 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-11:30 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-3:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Brett, Foster, and Liam will lead four sessions – two for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 8 years old are not recommended without their coach’s recommendation.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): DETAILS - UNDERWATERS, FLIP TURNS, AND STREAMLINES
Mastering the details of a race make be the difference between a good swim and a great one. The fastest your swimmer will be moving is after the start and turn, so maximizing this momentum is a critical way to drop time. Practicing a compact flip turn, powerful dolphin kicks, and a tight streamline will help your swimmer gain speed on every wall.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- STREAMLINES: Swimmers should be in a tight streamline position off every start and turn. Squeezing the elbows to the ears and having flat overlapped hands will reduce drag and maintain a lot of momentum with little additional effort. Coach Hawke, Foster Ballard, and Liam McCloskey will provide participants with a form that presents very little resistance to the flow of water, increasing speed and ease of movement.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): FASTER FREESTYLE
Freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits now will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Brett Hawke, Foster Ballard, and Liam McCloskey will lead participants through a progression of drills that will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the freestyle stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODY LINE & ROTATION: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle. Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Your swimmer will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Brett, Foster, and Liam will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power from every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Coach Hawke, Foster and Liam will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Brett, Foster, and Liam questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training philosophies, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
Learn the same drills that Brett teaches his swimmers like Foster and Liam to achieve fast and efficient techniques. Then get the chance to practice and get feedback!
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by taking your stroke to your top speed with some of the best in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself.
Take a photo with Brett, Foster, and Liam, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!