Past Clinic: High Performance Freestyle, Starts, and Turns
Sat, May, 04 2019
Ashland Area YMCA
3232 Old 13th St, Ashland, KY 41102
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Ashland, KY.
Blairwood Tennis, Swim & Fitness ClubInfo
Columbus School for GirlsInfo
CSU Rec CenterInfo
Mecklenburg Aquatic CenterInfo
Fremont Ross High SchoolInfo
Campus Recreation CenterInfo
Sylvania Northview High SchoolInfo
Three-Session Swim Camp – Sign up for one, two, or all three sessions!
There will be three sessions during this high performance swim camp. The first session will focus on elite freestyle technique. Then, the second session will help swimmers improve their starts and underwater dolphin kicking. Finally, the third session will work on technique for faster flip turns and open turns.
Your clinician for this camp will be Olympian Christopher Reid! Your swimmer has so much they can learn from Christopher. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Christopher will lead three sessions for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s recommendation.
SESSION 1: ELITE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Freestyle is a highly technical stroke and it is also the stroke that your swimmer practices and races more than any other; but are they swimming freestyle with maximum efficiency? At this session, Christopher Reid will be in the water reinforcing the basic foundations of technique as well as teaching challenging drills designed to help your swimmer approach technique differently.
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce maintaining good posture (including proper head position) and engage their core to have a foundation for a stronger and faster freestyle.
- KICK: Become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick from an Olympian.
- PULL: The goal of the freestyle arm pull is to maximize the distance and speed in with your swimmer can travel with a single stroke. The key is to achieve maximum extension, then bend the elbow to achieve a high elbow catch. Christopher will work with each swimmer to improve their pull and race faster in every freestyle race!
- ROTATION: Your swimmer will learn to utilize their rotation for more connection and power out of every stroke and every kick. Thus, making their strokes longer and stronger.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Christopher will show you how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
SESSION 2: STARTS AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Olympian Christopher Reid will share his experiences on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Christopher will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Christopher is known for his speed in his underwater dolphin kicking and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
SESSION 3: FLIP TURNS AND OPEN TURNS
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of turns of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the push-off and streamline from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water other than the streamline after a dive. Even elite level, swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns and finishes that slow them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At this session, Olympian Christopher Reid will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Christopher will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Christopher questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Christopher swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Christopher's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!