Past Clinic: 2019 Spring Elite Swim Camp Series
Sat, Apr, 13 2019 - Sun, Apr, 14 2019
Yorktown High School
5200 Yorktown Boulevard, Arlington, VA 22207
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Arlington, VA.
Rose Tree Woods Swim ClubInfo
Warrenton Aquatic and Recreation FacilityInfo
Fast and Efficient Freestyle and Backstroke Racing Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Freestyle and backstroke are both “long axis” strokes meaning swimmers rotate on an axis that reaches from head to toes. Participants at this camp will work on refining their freestyle technique to for a more efficient stroke on Saturday. Then on Sunday, the focus will be on powerful backstroke. This is “Elite” which means that each session is limited to no more than 36 participants.
Leading each session will be Elite Clinician and Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg! Kim has a talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
This camp will have two sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over and two sessions for swimmers ages 11 & under. The camp is not recommended for swimmers with less than 2 years of competitive swimming experience and swimmers younger than 9 years old should not sign up without their coach’s suggestion.
April 13: Fast and Efficient Freestyle Technique
Freestyle is the stroke that you swim more than any other. Creating good freestyle habits will help your swimmer race faster and help prevent injury in the future. Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg will be in the water leading participants through each part of the freestyle stroke and drills to help them create good habits and deepen their understanding of fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will renforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- KICK: Become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick from an Olympian.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Nick will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power out of every stroke!
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation form more connection and power out of every pull and every kick.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Kim will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
April 14: Powerful Backstroke Technique
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation as well as a stable and balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with Olympic medalist Kim Vandenberg to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmer's knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke. This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Kim will help swimmers maintain maximum propulsion with the proper kicking technique.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
At each session of this elite series, swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Olympian Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe the clinicians at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!