Past Clinic: High Performance Butterfly and Breaststroke Racing
Sat, Dec, 15 2018 - Sun, Dec, 16 2018
Blairwood Tennis, Swim & Fitness Club
9300 Blairwood Rd, Louisville, KY 40222
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Louisville, KY.
Heidt Family Champion CenterInfo
Crown Point High SchoolInfo
NKU Campus Recreation CenterInfo
Columbus School For GirlsInfo
West Carrollton YMCAInfo
Two-Day Swim Camp!
On Saturday, participants will work on starts off the blocks, underwater dolphin kicking, and breaststroke pullouts. Then, on Sunday participants will work on fast and efficient butterfly and breaststroke. Sign up for one or BOTH DAYS!
Your clinicians for this camp will be Olympic gold medalist Tyler McGill along with two-time Olympian and coach to Olympians Brett Hawke
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Fitter and Faster swim clinics are for COMPETITIVE SWIMMERS ONLY!
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase! Sign up for one or both sessions for your age group.
SESSION 1 & 2: DIVES, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING, AND BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwaters and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Tyler McGill will share his experience on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and Brett Hawke teach your swimmer some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Brett and Tyler will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Olympic gold medalist Tyler McGill and Olympic coach Brett Hawke. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Both Tyler McGill and Brett Hawke specialize in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
SESSION 3 & 4: BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm! Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that they can swim more connected and with more efficiency.
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Brett and Tyler will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim fly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Brett and Tyler questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tyler McGill swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Tyler and Brett while wearing Tyler's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!