Faster Freestyle Racing Camp
Sat, Nov, 13 2021 - Sun, Nov, 14 2021
Swim Houston Aquatic Center
8454 W Airport Blvd, Houston, TX 77071
We are excited to come back to Houston, TX to work with participants on their path to perfecting their freestyle technique and racing! Sign your swimmer up for one session or SAVE with a two session bundle!
Saturday, November 13: High Performance Freestyle Technique
Sunday, November 14: Applied Speed Freestyle
At this camp your swimmer will work on mechanical components of freestyle technique that will have a positive affect on their efficiency, power, speed and endurance. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum for all sessions.
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Session times (Saturday)
11 & Under: Check in 12 PM, Clinic 12:15 – 2:45 PM
12 & Over: Check in 3 PM, Clinic 3:15 – 6:15 PM
Session times (Sunday)
11 & Under: Check in 9 AM, Clinic 9:15 – 11:45 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12 PM, Clinic 12:15 – 3:15 PM
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
NOVEMBER 13: HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Creating and cultivating good habits will make swimmers faster and reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Tyler Messerschmidt will be in the water and on deck leading participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These skills will deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle techniques.
- BODYLINE: Swimmer’s freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Participants will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: A fast kick is the motor behind a swimmer's stroke! Participants will polish up their kicking to become stronger and faster through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Tyler will work with swimmers on how to get the maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke.
- BREATH: Timing is everything! Tyler will work with the participants on how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
NOVEMBER 14: FREESTYLE APPLIED SPEED
The technique for swimming a fast freestyle race changes depending on the distance. Learning to prioritize tempo vs. length and speed vs. efficiency can make a big difference in maximizing speed in shorter races or increasing endurance in longer races. The session will also include a training set designed to challenge swimmers and complement the technical foundation developed on day one.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: Depending on a swimmer's race, their distance per stroke might change. Longer distances require extended, efficient strokes to save energy. Shorter events might need to have to increase the number of strokes taken to go faster. Participants will work with NCAA Champion, Tyler Messerschmidt, to discover the proper stroke counts for different event lengths.
- TEMPO: A Swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Slower tempos allow swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes. Faster tempos are tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help participants swim as quickly as possible.
- PACING: When racing, many swimmers will prioritize tempo over distance per stroke, which causes them to take a higher number of shorter strokes on each length. This is an inefficient way to swim and can cause a swimmer to race much slower and fatigue quicker. At this session, NCAA Champion, Tyler Messerschmidt, will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo to utilize their strengths to race faster in any distance!
- TRAINING FREESTYLE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by Tyler and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s freestyle and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap!