Fast Freestyle & Backstroke Technique Swim Camp
Sat, Apr, 22 2023 - Sun, Apr, 23 2023
Dover High School
4500 Intermediate Ave, Dover, PA 17315
Fitter & Faster is returning to Dover High School in Dover, PA on Saturday & Sunday, April 22 & 23, 2023 to produce a two day swim camp!
FAST FREESTYLE & BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE CAMP
-> DAY 1: Freestyle Day!
-> DAY 2: Backstroke Day!
Scroll down for details on the curriculum!
-> Availability in each session is limited to 24 participants to ensure the best learning experience!
-> SAVE when you purchase the “Full Camp Bundle” for your swimmer's age group!
SESSION START TIMES:
Ages 9 to 12:
DAY 1: Check in 11:45 AM, Camp 12-2:30 PM
DAY 2: Check in 9 AM, Camp 9:15-11:45 AM
Ages 13 & over:
DAY 1: Check in 3:15 PM, Camp 3:30-6:30 PM
DAY 2: Check in 12:30 PM, Camp 12:45-3:45 PM
Our top priority is to provide a world-class learning experience for all participants at all of our camps. This camp has sessions for swimmers ages 9 to 12 and 13 & older. Participants will range from one-year of competitive swimming experience to AAAA times and faster. If you are the parent of a child under the age of 9 and would like for your child to be considered for the younger sessions of this camp, please complete this questionnaire.
Freestyle and backstroke utilize the same body position, posture, rotation, and an early “catch” to move down the pool with efficiency and speed. They are called the “long axis” strokes because swimmers rotate their hips and torso around their spine. Over two days, your swimmer, no matter their level, will improve their freestyle and backstroke technique, racing and training skills!
- DAY 1: FREESTYLE DAY! (April 22)
- DAY 2: BACKSTROKE DAY! (April 23)
- Bodyline: On each day of this camp, participants will learn and practice proper posture and engagement of their core for better technique in freestyle and backstroke. Participants will learn how even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference in creating more hydrodynamic and efficient strokes - for faster swimming!
- Rotation: Freestyle and backstroke are fastest and most efficient when a swimmer’s body is “rotating” around their spine with each stroke. This part of swimming both strokes has a big effect on maintaining a proper bodyline. Participants will practice activating their core muscles to form a powerful connection from head to toe with every stroke they take! On Day 1 we will work on rotation skills for Freestyle and on Day 2 rotation skills for backstroke.
- Kicking: While similar, the kick is different in freestyle and backstroke. In both strokes the kick is the motor behind their races! There are obviously proper and improper ways to kick which we will review on each day of this camp. Just as important, however, is practicing the complexities of how and when swimmers need to “shift gears” in their legs to become stronger and faster racers.
- Pull: The pull in both freestyle and backstroke keeps a swimmer balanced and accelerating forward. Essentially the best swimmers are creating a paddle with every stroke. On each day of this camp, your clinicians will work with participants to establish an early vertical forearm “the catch”, enabling your swimmer to put immediate pressure back on the water. Properly completing the freestyle and backstroke arm-pull keeps the swimmer moving forward efficiently and fast.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo, get autographs, and chat with your clinicians!
Inquisitive, Educated Swimmers are Faster Swimmers! Sign up today!