Explosive Starts Camp
Sat, Nov, 27 2021 - Sun, Nov, 28 2021
9500 Windsor Pkwy, Johnston, IA 50131
Though every race only has one start, the momentum swimmers get off the block and into their first stroke is unmatched. That is why world class level swimmers focus on the smallest details when it comes to maintaining speed off of their start. You can take your races to the next level by focusing on the details at our 2-day Explosive Starts Camp in Johnston, IA! Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a 2-day bundle!
Saturday, November 27: Explosive Starts, Underwaters & Breakouts
Sunday, November 28: Powerful Backstroke Starts, Relay Exchanges & Finishes
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (both days):
11 & Under: Check in 9:45 AM, Clinic 10-12:30 PM
12 & Over: Check in 1 PM, Clinic 1:15-4:15 PM
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
Saturday, November 27: STARTS, UNDERWATERS & BREAKOUTS
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power and speed off of the block, the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by an efficient and dominating underwater. Our clinicians have spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will work with swimmers on being explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: The clinicians will work with swimmers to find their best position on the block and how to powerfully launch off into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's the quickest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power developed during their underwaters. Swimmers will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate and carry their momentum into the lap.
Sunday, November 28 : BACKSTROKE STARTS & RELAY EXCHANGES
Backstroke starts can be challenging to master, but participants will practice exploding off every start by focusing on correct hand and foot placement, a strong push-off, and clean entry. Relays are some of the most fun events to swim, and learning proper technique and timing for relay exchanges will help the whole team!
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Our Elite Clinicians will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a powerful and beautiful backstroke start so swimmers can execute a solid beginning to their race.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Relay exchanges are one of the trickiest skills to master in swimming. Learning the proper technique for a well-timed finish and an explosive relay dive is vital in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange!
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!