Explosive Performance: Starts and Turns
Sat, Aug, 24 2019 - Sun, Aug, 25 2019
Frisco ISD Bruce Eubanks Natatorium
7411 N. First St., Frisco, TX 75033
Two-Day Explosive Power Swim Camp – Over two days, Olympic gold medalist and Elite Clinician Nick Thoman will be leading swimmers through drills and instructions specifically designed to unleash their power in starts, turns, and finishes. Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving through the water is after the start and after every turn? On Saturday the curriculum will focus on explosive starts and relay exchanges as well as well-timed finishes. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every wall whether with a flip turn or an open turn.
Nick is one of Fitter and Faster’s most experienced and effective clinicians. Scroll down to read more about the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Days)
12 & Under: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-12:00 PM
13 & Over: Check in 1:00 PM, Clinic 1:30 PM-4:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Nick will be in the water leading four sessions – two for each age group. This camp is designed for swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): STARTS, RELAY EXCHANGES, AND FINISHES
Whether in an individual event or a relay, the start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and your swimmer will only get better with practice. Nick will break down these important movements that begin each race. At the other end, timing the finish can be the difference between winning and losing a close race.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Nick will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): FLIP TURNS AND OPEN TURNS
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Nick will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Nick questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Nick swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Nick, get autographs, and a gift from our sponsors!