Stroke Technique & Explosive Performance Camp – Boise, ID
Fri, Aug, 23 2019 - Sun, Aug, 25 2019
213 East Franklin Road, Meridian, ID 83642
Three-Day High Performance Stroke Technique & Explosive Performance Swim Camp – Over three days, two-time Olympian and Fitter and Faster VP Chloe Sutton will be leading sessions designed to teach your swimmer small changes that will have big effects on their swimming! Sign up for one session or save by signing up for bundle packages for your age group!
Swimmers ages 11 & under will focus on improving the two fastest parts of every single race: The starts and turns. Swimmers 12 & over will also work on starts and turns with Chloe. Additionally, these athletes will have sessions to refine their technique in all four strokes!
Chloe’s attention to detail and eye for perfect technique will help your participant become a faster and more efficient swimmer! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Friday, August 23rd
12 & Over (Free/Back): Check in 4:30 PM, Clinic 5:00 PM-7:00 PM
Saturday, August 24th
11 & Under (Starts): Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-11:30 AM
12 & Over (Starts): Check in 12:00 PM, Clinic 12:30 PM-2:30 PM
Sunday, August 25th
11 & Under (Turns): Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-11:30 AM
12 & Over (Turns): Check in 12:00 PM, Clinic 12:30 PM-2:30 PM
12 & Over (Breast/Fly): Check in 3:00 PM, Clinic 3:30 PM-5:30 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Chloe will be in the water for each of the six sessions. There are two sessions for ages 11 & under. There are four sessions for ages 12 & over. This camp is designed swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these clinics without your coach’s permission.
SESSION 1 (12 & OVER, FRIDAY): FREESTYLE AND BACKSTROKE
Freestyle and backstroke are called the “long axis” strokes because swimmers rotate their torso from side to side. Freestyle and backstroke utilize the same kick, body position, posture, rotation, and an early catch; master these complex skills to become a faster and more powerful swimmer! Olympian Chloe Sutton will cover drills and skills to break down these strokes into easy-to-understand movements that will come together for a faster, stronger, and more efficient stroke.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Chloe will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows swimmers to swim stronger, but it also allows them to hold the proper body position. Chloe will help participants learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
SESSIONS 2 & 3 (SATURDAY): STARTS AND RELAY EXCHANGES
Whether in an individual event or a relay, the start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and your swimmer will only get better with practice. Chloe will break down these important movements that begin each race.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Chloe will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange.
SESSIONS 4 & 5 (SUNDAY): FLIP TURNS AND OPEN TURNS
Focusing on having faster turns and a well-timed finish is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Chloe will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
SESSION 6 (12 & OVER, SUNDAY): BUTTERFLY AND BREASTSTROKE
Butterfly and breaststroke are called the “short axis” strokes because swimmers undulate at their hips, giving the strokes their distinct up and down motion. These strokes share many other technical attributes, and can be challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm and timing. Working on these two strokes together will deepen a swimmer’s understanding of the technique required to swim with more efficiency and speed.
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic strokes. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Chloe will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to create better habits every time they swim butterfly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Chloe questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Chloe swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Chloe, get autographs, and a gift from our sponsors!